• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How/Can you roleplay a non-musical bard?

kyloss said:
I am actualy working up a bard whose main schtick is cooking, nothing inspires courage like good food, and fear like really realy bad food. Think perform Benihana.
But your prep time would be longer than 1 round (6 seconds) . I've seen battles that have finished faster than it would take to get your gear out of your pack... But, I LOVE the concept. :) Out of the box thinking inspires me....

sniffles

First Post
My bard is a scholarly type who collects ancient lore and is writing some books herself.

A friend of mine is running a bard/rogue in another game who's the 'witty banter' type. He was seriously thinking of taking the Goad feat for his PC, to simulate her cutting wit. :)

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Quickleaf said:
I've always liked the idea of a storytelling bard who relates short anecdotes from legend to inspire.
Indeed, Mark Twain was a master storyteller who I would clearly call a Bard, playing to packed auditoriums, although singing and dancing were not part of his routine. As to how to role play this, that's very easily done. Just go to an online book site and find multi-paragraph summaries of fantasy/science fiction stories and recite those summaries as his/her tales.

Errant

First Post
ST said:
For a bard who uses history and (to some extent) rhetoric, look at Croaker from the Black Company. The whole point of his character is the vital importance of lore and history to the survival of an organization.

Another cool thing about Croaker is that he does his "inspire" bit more often with a snide comment or a sarcastic grin than with one of his big history readings. He's well-read but totally down to earth, and I think a character along those lines could be a lot of fun to play.

Ooh, I like that, bardic inspiration via sarcastic jibes would fit in perfectly with my gaming group. :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads