How come BBEG coming out never have magic weapons or items?

Satyrn

First Post
That's the relevant bit. 4e is the best-balanced D&D so far, and I as a customer want the best for my money. Balance isn’t the only concern of course, but it’s important.
Yeah, the designer's weren't aiming for 4e's type of balance, and I was delighted by their choice not to.

You mentioned earlier about wanting guidelines about how to adjust encounters to match characters gaining magic weapons. While I'd be cool with those guidelines, I like that 5e's method of handling this is simply "well, now the characters are a little tougher than their foes" instead of how 4e and 3e made the foes tougher to match.

I can see that it's a little lousy for you that the latest edition of this awesome game doesn't deliver what you want, and you have my sympathy. I remember what it was like when Rush went synth-heavy.

(I mean, they were still awesome, but boy did that synth wreck that perfect balance between guitar and bass and drums)

ad_hoc

(they/them)
In any case, good gaming. This thread is getting too hyperbolic, ranty, and passive aggressive, so I'm off to more interesting corners.

Thank you for explaining to us why 5e is so bad. We couldn't figure it out for ourselves even after years of playing it.

Your work isn't done though. There are still 15 million other people in NA that need to hear your gospel. Be sure to tell them so they don't accidentally have fun with a game you've never played.

dave2008

Legend
Good for you? Like I've said, playtesting a vaguely-written rpg is not what I want to do with my limited free time.
It is not play testing. It is a fully function game that millions of people have little issue playing just fine. Now it looks like you do engage in hyperbole.

That's the relevant bit. 4e is the best-balanced D&D so far, and I as a customer want the best for my money. Balance isn’t the only concern of course, but it’s important.

Except that the best balanced game does not = the best game. Now I liked 4e, but I also like 5e. Personally I would like to mix the two and then throw in a dash of my own.

clearstream

(He, Him)
I'll continue DMing fun quality games, thanks.
5e is extremely high quality, design-wise. 5e sits a few notches above most other PnP RPGs, in quality. But game quality isn't the only basis for choosing one on.

Possibly, the historical D&D games you are comparing with don't match the historical D&D games I am comparing with, in terms of how they were run at the table. Your concerns about magic items don't match my experience.

Remove ads