D&D (2024) How did I miss this about the Half races/ancestries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You haven't done anything. Two lines do not a write up make.
Mod Note:

This comes off as incredibly flippant and unserious. If you want to continue participating in this thread, be better about your treatment of fellow posters.

And to be clear: everyone in here should take that as an admonition. That post wasn’t an isolated occurrence.

Faolyn

(she/her)
No I don't, and neither do the people working at WOTC if they want to keep doing so.
No, you don't want to publish? No, you won't be allowed to publish? No, the WotC employees and contractors would be fired/blacklisted/attacked by minions if they published?

Because if it's the latter two, I'm gonna need some evidence here. I don't take "because I said so" as proof.

And I can easily point out a game like Myforag, which is filled with actual racism (the author is a white supremacist), not just in-game racism, and can be bought on Amazon, and apparently even had a supplement as recently as last year.

I am entirely comfortable with my argument. I think people who see what is going on, understand, and I have explained to you and the other two posters asking for examples, why I won't provide any to you.
Sure. Your reasons are "because I said so." But, as the interwebs says, pics or it didn't happen.

to be honest I am very wary to answer this question for the same reason I am wary about answering questions asked by you and the other two posters, especially given it’s a personal issue. But the first time I ever encountered anyone from the left suggesting our relationship could be a problem was an instructor in a media course I took in 2006, and to be clear, I think she was a good person and found her to be an an interesting person. This was the first time I heard it suggested that if a white man dated a woman outside his own race, she felt it was a colonialist impulse to ‘explore the exotic’. Then I encountered the idea that an Asian woman or a black woman in a relationship with a white guy, is somehow endorsing or seeking benefits of ‘white supremacy’. I’ve even seen similar arguments for black men dating Asian women or white women. Since then I encountered similar ideas, including that Asian women should date Asian men, that black men should date black women, etc.

And you can also sense the mood in the room. I used to never be reluctant to say my wife is Asian or my wife is Thai. But when I am in an environment that seems more left leaning I am definitely more on guard because you are much more likely in that environment to get ‘your one of those guys’ reactions (especially if you have interest in Asian cultures or media). And it feels like the language you and the other person use us also much more monitored (you just have more concern about being misunderstood). You just feel more scrutinized and uncomfortable
OK, so your reasons here are not that people pointed out interracial marriage is bad, but that "docile" Asian women have a history of being exploited by white men (not meaning you here, but in general). (Also, that's four links there. And here's another one.)

So it looks like the "mood in the room" was concern about about the possible fetishization and exploitation of an non-white woman by white men. Which is, in fact, a thing that actually happens and has been well-documented for a very long time. But did anyone there, or anyone else you've spoken to, want to make interracial marriage illegal? Because--and I do not want to get into politics here--there's a huge difference between "these relationships are sometimes exploitative" and "these relationships should be illegal."

Faolyn

(she/her)
OK, I want to ask that again, flip it around a bit, see if I can understand you a bit better.

You think using racist terminology is OK in an RPG?

Why? It's an active roleplaying game.
Well, for starters, vampires aren't really races or species. They're supernatural beings. You'll notice that in D&D very few people have a problem with the idea of having actually supernatural beings be Always Evil.

And, well, the inter-clan stereotypes are pretty stupid there, as well. I would prefer "clan" to be about something other than bloodlines. But on the other hand, VtM never interested me in the first place so I don't know all that much about how they work.

Are you referring to the Bible?
I'm referring to several religious sects which believe(d) that the Mark of Ham was dark skin, that being something other than white was a literal curse from God.

And that's all I'm going to go into for this, because I don't want to go into religion any further.

One can easily create much conflict between various species, the PHB doesn't even touch on the elf-otc relationship right?
OK, like what?

No, you don't want to publish? No, you won't be allowed to publish? No, the WotC employees and contractors would be fired/blacklisted/attacked by minions if they published?

What I am saying is there are professional consequences for voicing the kinds of opinions I have voiced on this thread. So you can say these things. They will absolutely lead to loss of work opportunity

Because if it's the latter two, I'm gonna need some evidence here. I don't take "because I said so" as proof.

Again this is running into the same issue as before. But if you don't think this is true, fair enough I don't feel like you are obligated to agree with me or believe me.

And I can easily point out a game like Myforag, which is filled with actual racism (the author is a white supremacist), not just in-game racism, and can be bought on Amazon, and apparently even had a supplement as recently as last year.

I am not here to say Myfarog should be up on Drivethru. Varg Vikernes is an actual racist. We are talking about things like orc tropes and, for lack of better language, how politically correct games are supposed to be. I am fine if people want to buy that on Amazon but I think his ideas are appalling.

What I am talking about is peoples ability to function inside the hobby while expressing their opinions, designing what they really want to design and associating with who they want to associate. Not people like Varg, but regular designers who either have ventured outside a very narrow band of opinion on tropes and media (but still within the bounds of polite society) or been canceled for some reason (like guilt by association which has happened to me and happens alot in this hobby---heck even just being friends with someone on facebook can be a problem).

Again, if you don't see it. Fair. I am not telling you you have to believe me. But I do think people can see what I am posting and understand what I mean. And also I can tell you I am presently feeling extreme reluctance to post many of these views because I am perfectly aware they can be screen shot and posted on twitter, and if someone already thinks I am a bad person, get paraded in a post by a publisher who decides to put out something I've written (I can pretty much guarantee almost every designer who works freelance is worried about this a lot).

OK, so your reasons here are not that people pointed out interracial marriage is bad, but that "docile" Asian women have a history of being exploited by white men (not meaning you here, but in general). (Also, that's four links there. And here's another one.)

That wasn't my argument but again, if you don't think my answer is good, fair enough. You asked and I provided an answer and tried to explain how we both feel it has impacted us. I am sure many other interracial couples also feel what I was talking about. And of course that doesn't mean there aren't bad things out there, that there aren't people who are getting into relationships for the wrong reason or have backwards ideas about Asian women. That is stuff we have to deal with as well. I've certainly seen it enough to know people sometimes treat her a certain way

So it looks like the "mood in the room" was concern about about the possible fetishization and exploitation of an non-white woman by white men. Which is, in fact, a thing that actually happens and has been well-documented for a very long time. But did anyone there, or anyone else you've spoken to, want to make interracial marriage illegal? Because--and I do not want to get into politics here--there's a huge difference between "these relationships are sometimes exploitative" and "these relationships should be illegal."

I've never encountered anyone who has said our marriage should be illegal. I have encountered people on both sides who are clearly uncomfortable with us for whatever reason, and who clearly think they know about us based on the simple fact that we are interracial. Again, that isn't what I meant about reading the room. But you aren't under any obligation to believe what I am saying.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:

We’re at 130 pages of posts in a thread that’s generated a lot of reports. I’m seeing sea-lioning, personal insults (veiled and not), and LOTS of people talking past each other.

I’m not seeing progress.

So I think this thread has reached its terminus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads