• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How did 'Righteous Might' affect your game?

Thanee

First Post
Personally, I think the nerfing of Righteous Might went too far in the errata. It's hardly worth casting anymore (we changed it to full size changes as per the MM, and the DR as per the errata).

Anyways, I can only think of one occastion, where it really made some impact, that was when the cleric was swallowed by some monster and then cast Righteous Might to 'fill up' its stomach, so it couldn't get anyone else. :D

As for the power... yes, Divine Power + Righteous Might is mighty powerful, but it costs two rounds to cast these spells (you do not always have this time to prepare) and they last only for one combat. They also eat up a significant portion of a cleric's spells, if you are on moderate levels (around 10th).

I don't really have a problem with that. If the party gets into trouble often enough, it's usually not wise to use both at the same time, anyways.

Bye
Thanee

Marimmar

First Post
The nerfed 'Righteous Might' spell still has lots of bonusses that stack with other bonusses from almost any other spell so I wouldn't call it hardly worth casting. Having reach and damage reduction is powerful indeed. The combination with 'Divine Power' is still awesome but at least there's some fighting chance with the reduced damage reduction in effect.

Next time my monsters will run when faced with a buffed cleric. 12 rounds are not that long to wait for. :D

~Marimmar

BAW

First Post
The Cleric is about to Power-Up

The Scenario:
Some BBEG and the party;
Combat sequence
1) Cleric casts first buff spell
2) BBEG readies action to attack the cleric the next time she casts a spell
3) Cleric tries to cast second buff spell
4) Cleric in much pain and no second buff
5) BBEG gets the next round to inflict much pain on whoever he wishes

Try doing that once or twice and suddenly your cleric PCs (though this can be applied to any caster) will be a lot more cautious about their spell selection. Not to mention when and where they cast.

This leads to a much more tactical approach and the buff spells become seen a little less frequently.

Marimmar

First Post
Well the last battles were like that:

1) Party encounters BBEG
2) Combat starts, PCs flee by teleporting to safety
3) PCs buff themselves, teleport in again at full power.
4) Dead BBEG

or

1) Scout spots approaching BBEG
2) PCs buffs themselves
3) Combat is commenced
4) Dead or fleeing BBEG

But I admit that I could indeed use the ready action to greater effect than before. :)

~Marimmar

Marimmar

First Post
BTW after one fight we had a near TPK with three dead and one fleeing because the party used up all their spells on the first encounter that day and had no fire power left.

~Marimmar

Last edited:

Marimmar said:
BTW after one fight we had a near TPK with three dead and one fleeing because the party used up all their spells on the first encounter that day and had no fire power left.

~Marimmar

That's game balance right there :D

Have the BBEG have scouts before combat, and information sources to track down the players after combat - then attack again. Have them say outright "we caught you without spells" until the players get the hint :)

Thanee

First Post
Marimmar said:
The nerfed 'Righteous Might' spell still has lots of bonusses that stack with other bonusses from almost any other spell so I wouldn't call it hardly worth casting. Having reach and damage reduction is powerful indeed.
Sure thing, but this is a 5th level spell, not a 1st level spell, like, say, Enlarge Person.

I think Divine Power is superior now, which feels wrong, since it is one level lower.

And while the stackability is a great bonus, the very short duration is a huge hindrance.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Marimmar said:
1) Party encounters BBEG
2) Combat starts, PCs flee by teleporting to safety
3) PCs buff themselves, teleport in again at full power.
4) Dead BBEG

or

1) Scout spots approaching BBEG
2) PCs buffs themselves
3) Combat is commenced
4) Dead or fleeing BBEG
That's the BBEG's fault, not the spell's. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Christopher Lambert said:
That's game balance right there :D
Absolutely, you should do that more often, so they learn, that it is not wise to use up all their power in one go... and always remember... the baddies can Scry-Teleport, too.

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads