• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How did you handle the Aarakocra?

How did you handle the Aarakocra?

• I banned it.

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • I nerfed or otherwise downgraded it.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I allowed it just as it is.

Votes: 88 66.7%
  • I did something else (please explain).

Votes: 7 5.3%

They're banned in my current campaign--or would be, had any of my players even asked--but that's for thematic/flavor reasons, not mechanical ones. If/when I run a campaign where they're not out of place, I'll allow them entirely as-is.

neobolts

Explorer
I have not had a player ask to run one. If they did, I would probably allow it if there was a concept behind it, rather than a munchkin approach to it.

The Grand User

Explorer
I'd allow it. I'm even going to make a subrace of dragonborn that's basically it that has a slightly slower flying speed but higher natural attack damage, in place of the BW and resistance.

I required all of my players to change to aarakocra, thereby insuring that they can all fly so one feels left out. Then I gave every monster flight, and murdered the PCs.

:hmm:

JK! No I'm totally cool with aarakocra and have details on their place in the setting ready for them if anyone wants to run one....but so far no one's bothered in my two groups.

CM

Adventurer
The real problem with flight is when the entire party has easy access to it. One PC with a fly speed is no big deal to me. Also, that is literally their only racial trait aside from a weak 1d4 claw attack, and they have 25' ground speed on top of that. Giving them further limitations would be unfair IMO.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Does nobody understand that the ability to Fly is just that...the ability to Fly?

What is Fly? It's movement in the air. Let me say it a bit differently. It's movement in the air.

Aaracokra can fly...NOT hover. They can't "stop and fight from above". They have to be moving. You know...physics and lift and all that stuff. There are monsters that have Fly listed, and some that have Fly & Hover...so obviously there is a distinction (as there should be). They can't cast spells any more easily than a wizard walking down a hallway. They can't "fly up, cast a spell, then fly on"...as soon as they stop flying that pesky thing called *gravity* kicks in and they fall like a rock. Nor can they just "hover there" and shoot a missile weapon as they have to be moving.

Also, wingspan. An Aaracokra has a, what, 15' wingspan? Forget about flying anywhere other than wide open areas. Even in a 30'x50' room with a 20' ceiling. No room to maneuver or gain enough altitude.

I just don't get why people think a flying creature is so "overpowered". They aren't. Not in the least. Not in any way, shape or form, IME. Now, a magical flight that allows one to hover in place? That's different. That's quite powerful...not insurmountable, but definitely advantageous. But muscle powered "Flight" with no Hover capability? I just don't see it.

EDIT: And yes, I realise the vagueness of magical flight with this interpretation. On one hand, the Fly spell doesn't say you can hover at all...but the PHB listing for Flight specifically mentions "will fall...unless magical flight, such as the fly spell". I adjudicate this simply that with magical flight, you can move as slow as you want, but not stop [re: have a movement of 5']...but you are still moving. But, with our aaracokra friend, it's not magical...so no "movement of 5'".

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Last edited:

Derren

Hero
Hiya.

Does nobody understand that the ability to Fly is just that...the ability to Fly?

What is Fly? It's movement in the air. Let me say it a bit differently. It's movement in the air.

Aaracokra can fly...NOT hover. They can't "stop and fight from above". They have to be moving. You know...physics and lift and all that stuff. There are monsters that have Fly listed, and some that have Fly & Hover...so obviously there is a distinction (as there should be). They can't cast spells any more easily than a wizard walking down a hallway. They can't "fly up, cast a spell, then fly on"...as soon as they stop flying that pesky thing called *gravity* kicks in and they fall like a rock. Nor can they just "hover there" and shoot a missile weapon as they have to be moving.

Also, wingspan. An Aaracokra has a, what, 15' wingspan? Forget about flying anywhere other than wide open areas. Even in a 30'x50' room with a 20' ceiling. No room to maneuver or gain enough altitude.

I just don't get why people think a flying creature is so "overpowered". They aren't. Not in the least. Not in any way, shape or form, IME. Now, a magical flight that allows one to hover in place? That's different. That's quite powerful...not insurmountable, but definitely advantageous. But muscle powered "Flight" with no Hover capability? I just don't see it.

EDIT: And yes, I realise the vagueness of magical flight with this interpretation. On one hand, the Fly spell doesn't say you can hover at all...but the PHB listing for Flight specifically mentions "will fall...unless magical flight, such as the fly spell". I adjudicate this simply that with magical flight, you can move as slow as you want, but not stop [re: have a movement of 5']...but you are still moving. But, with our aaracokra friend, it's not magical...so no "movement of 5'".

^_^

Paul L. Ming
You can still move and perform an action each round even when flying. And instead of hovering and shooting they fly back and forward and shoot.

The real fun begins when they not fight in close ranges but at maximum ranges and take means to increase their maximum range to outstrip most enemies.
And there is the fact that attacking downward has a longer range than attacking upward. Oh, sure the rules ignore that, but nothing stops the PC from dropping stones, alchemical fire or even more nasty things from far above. That wont be effective against small mobile enemies but good against encampments.

Of course, whe you are only doing dungeon crawls all this is no problem.

transtemporal

Explorer
I make sure I kill all Aarakocra PCs cruelly and early while I cackle evilly, so they know not to overstep! THEY ARE JUST SCUM PLAYERS WHILE I AM THE ALL POWERFUL DM MUA HA HA HA HA!

Not really. I just let them play Aarakocra. They look cool. Also, I let them hover, wingover and any other thing that sounds cool. But not generally in dungeons.

Last edited:

Remove ads