How do ability scores change when using Polymorph/Metamorphosis

Tilenas

Explorer
Compared to some other problems this spell causes, this possibly seems trivial and easy to solve, but here it is anyway:

When my character polymorphs, in what manner do his ability scores change?

SRD said:
The subject gains the Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores of the new form but retains its own Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores.

Does he get the exact scores listed in the monster's enty or are the monster's ability modifiers applied?

Example: Human Wizard with Str 6, Dex 14, Con 13 polymorphs into Hill Giant. Are his scores now Str 25, Dex 8, Con 19 (as in the entry) or Str 20, Dex 12, Con 21 (because of racial mods +14/-2/+8)?

lolstrider7

First Post
Read the spell. He gets the ability scores of the monster, as written in their (respective book, usually MM) entry.

Last edited:

Tilenas

Explorer
So when my human fighter goes undercover in a drow city, his 17 Str get relegated to a mere 10? Or is this then a case for alter self? I remain unconvinced, especially given that many monsters have their ability adjustments spelt out.
Why not simply remove the adjustments of your old race and apply those of the new? It's not like that polymorph removes your natural strengths and weaknesses...

Empirate

First Post
No reason. That's just how the spell works.

...or doesn't work, in that it is obviously seven kinds of stupid broken to replace entire ability scores instead of modifying them. Pathfinder takes a much saner approach to 'morphing. Nerfing the concept quite heavily, which shouldn't come as a surprise.

Remove ads