how do FLGSs make money?

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Hosting tournaments. CCG tournaments are usually subsidised by the publisher (even if it's just tournament kit stuff like t-shirts and so on). Events like that draw in larger-than-usual crowds who might impulse buy (in addition to the entry fees).

Gareman

Explorer
How To

Opening a game store *should* be like opening any other type of business. You write a plan, you scout locations considering demographics, you raise funds, and you attempt to appeal to as many people as possible. You carry what your local community will buy and always try to expand that. Profit margins are thin, around 5-7% when all the bills are paid, and only then after a year or two of losing money. So if you write a business plan and think it's impossible, you're getting close. Generally it will cost $50,000-$100,000+ to open a game store with broad appeal. We're currently in a CCG boom, so you might try doing it for a lot less, with the understanding you'll need to reinvest so you can diversify before the bubble bursts, but it's a long shot.

The average game store does around $200,000/year in gross sales, perhaps a bit more. If it's profitable, it means the owner is making around $10,000 on top of their salary, assuming they work in the store. Successful stores that are properly capitalized make three to seven multiples of this. They make this money not be selling snacks, impulse purchases, or running events, they do it by serving regular customers who shop primarily at their store. There's no witch craft, no secret way to get people to avoid Amazon, and it's not about selling snacks. The truth is 90% of retail sales in the US occurs in brick and mortar stores. You might not shop in one, but the other 9 people in the room do. It's obviously not as simple as that, as many people do both, but you live to serve up as many things as possible to those who come through your doors.

evilbob

Explorer
Thank you, Gareman, for your thoughts. And someone linked to what I assume is your blog earlier, and that is also really insightful. (It also makes me realize that I have chosen the correct career path: one that does not involve opening my own business!) Maybe I can point the local gaming store owner to that blog as well, just for some thoughts and tips.

I think being in CA does put you on a whole other level - I mean, you've got like 1 million people per square foot out there, right? :) We have about 1 million per 1/4th of the state. And I think that's a huge factor in how many businesses can even stay open in this sort of area. But I think most of what you're saying is still broadly applicable.

I had certainly not heard that 90% of retail sales were in person. Like most, I'd assumed that was down to like, 70% or 50% or something - and definitely dropping. Is there a recent study or article or something talking about that? Even still, if it's "only" 10%, that 10% is what I am guessing a lot of fringe businesses lived in - and I think that's where they are feeling the pinch.

Anyway thanks again for your insight!

Gareman

Explorer
CA is high risk-high reward, but most stores do fine in lower income, lower cost areas. I was talking with one store owner in the Midwest whose rent was about on par with a car payment.

Online sales are growing fast, but they haven't grown as a percentage of the overall retail pie. There's also debate on whether that 10% applies to game sales, with many thinking it's probably a lot higher in that category, but there's no data. My point was that you're selling games to customers as your primary means of business, rather than some add-on or work around. Brick and mortar specialty retail is alive and well.

Diamond Master

First Post
This thread is really exciting to me as someone who plans to open a gaming store sometime in the next five years (PS - people in Western VA should get ahold of me, haha)

The community aspect is just so exciting for me.

My other secret is that I already have an OK income to live on.

As someone who has done a lot of work with small businesses, I completely agree with Gareman. The reason that most small businesses fail within a year or two is because the owners don't treat them as serious businesses, and often have no clue how to run a business. They don't do market research, don't have a realistic long-range plan, aren't open when most adults are shopping (evenings and BOTH weekend days), aren't open enough hours, have poor customer service, do a terrible job of advertising, etc. They don't take advantage of free advertising, don't partner with schools and libraries, and so forth. Many don't even work in the industry before trying to start a business in it.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
My head hurts from all them gamer stereotypes.

And if you go to five game shops, in 3-4 of them you will see most of those stereotypes in the flesh.

Most game stores I've been in don't make a lot of money. They're typically started by two or three people who love gaming and playing games, and they sometimes have some significant seed money from another source, or they have connections that get them the storefront dirt cheap, usually through a relative of some kind. They typically fold when the seed money runs out or one of other partners decides to do something else. Or they get caught hard by a trend they didn't see coming, like seeing your entire wall of 3E merchandise turn into junk overnight.

Remove ads