How do Governments Align?

Celebrim

Legend
Standard alignments are designed to reflect the philosophies/actions of individuals.

That's true, but let us concede that though that's what they do, they come far being able to in any way completely describe particular philosophies or being able to dictate to an particular character exactly how they will behave in all circumstances. Obviously, they are but two spectrums in a vast multitude of different ways we could describe belief. What they do is give us very broad buckets, or alignments, that have a certain mythic resonance and which are suited to a fairly large percentage of traditional high fantasy.

And, yes, I agree that they don't describe groups nearly as well as an individual, as really just about any group label when applied to a group will misidentify individuals. But on the other hand, neither do I expect this description to be anything other than the same sort of broad shorthand that it is when applied to individuals. So, if in a group with 100 members, 60 are CG, 10 are NG, 10 are CN, 10 are N, and the other 10 are a mix of other alignments, I'm fairly happy to label this group Chaotic Good in its collective tendencies. That doesn't mean that every action taken by the group or by each individual member of the group will conform to the highest ideals of Chaotic Good, but on the whole you'd be rather surprised if they group as a whole was organized in ways incompatible with the beliefs of CG.

For example let's look at guns. Those that fear guns will call them evil, so any government that allows citizens to own them would be, by their definition, evil. However those that are in favor of guns see disarming of citizens as evil and a precursor to tyranny. To them a government that would take away the right to own a gun is evil.

First of all, let me point you back up to my third paragraph of post #27. Just because someone calls something evil, doesn't necessarily within the alignment framework make it evil. In the above argument, it's possible that neither group has correctly identified what evil is and are arguing over matters of say law and chaos and merely believe that chaos or law is 'evil' because of their personal biases and are using 'evil' to merely mean wrong. Or its possible that they are actually arguing over something that is neutral with respect to law, chaos, good, and evil and amounts to only an incidental preference with no real deep alignment meaning at all.

What truly determines whether that government is good or evil is the reason for the decision to disarm.

I would say that that is important, but not that that is all that determines what an alignment is. And for that matter, for the purposes of our game system, we don't have to be even that intellectual about it. What truly determines whether a government is good or evil in D&D is, after we have made mutually exclusive, space filling, and non-contradictory definitions to go with all our labels (even if these are just Aristolian lists), what bucket the DM throws the mode of behavior or beliefs into that corresponds to his definition.

If it is to save lives the government would be doing it for what they considered good reasons. If on the other hand they did it to leave the citizens defenseless against their rule, they are now most likely evil. Now consider that any such law created would be supported by both good and evil people.

Absolutely. And this is I think an important point many people miss. In the terms I've been outlining, a government experiencing a wave of crime and violence might move to ban private citizens from carrying bladed weapons longer than 8" or something of the sort. And this move might well be equally supported by Lawful Good and Lawful Evil types, each for their own but related reasons. Particularly in how they openly discuss their purposes and goals, each might well speak the same language. To a Chaotic Good person, who though they might understand the desire to preserve life, there will be little distinction between the LG persons and the LE persons. Thus, there is the potential for even a violent dispute between LG and CG persons, even when in many ways they share the same goals. And likewise, there is a very great danger that a LG person, in hearing of a dispute - will assume that the CG person is as wrong as a CE one, and just as dangerous, and certainly through their devotion to Chaos a great enabler of 'evil'.

Chaotic and lawful also fall short when applied to collectives since one can follow the laws of the land or the laws of morality.

Err... I think at this point, even though there remains a lot of disagreement over what Lawful means, most people have already abandoned the attractive seeming but ultimately unsustainable idea that it means 'obeys the laws of the land'. I'd ask that you go back and reread some of my posts describing differences in the outlook between Lawful and Chaotic individuals.

My conclusion is that an entirely different system must be applied to governments.

Be as it may, it still makes for interesting short hand. If I say that a nation is predominately LE, images immediately spring to mind as to what sort of things this might mean - draconian punishments, servile bureaucrats, ruthless lords, fascism, slavery, oppression, secret police, inquisitors, rigorous control over all aspects of a persons live, and militarism. Likewise, if I say that a nation is predominately CG, a very different set of images spring to mind. So while the system may be far from perfect, until you produce one that is obviously vastly superior, you are likely to find people still using the alignment system to describe governments in very general terms.

Last edited:

N'raac

First Post
I'm a bit surprised you think that. We build societies, but we have to impose order by force.

No society can stand in the face of overall civil disobedience. The vast majority follow the rules. When they don’t the rules disappear. If no one – NO ONE AT ALL – stopped at stop signs, how would we enforce this? Similarly, if absolutely everyone in a country failed to file and pay taxes, how would we collect them? Voluntary compliance is at the root of society functioning.

And we tend toward Rule of Man and not Rule of Law, with an authority figure largely governing by whim.

You mean like the Queen of England decides green is a bad colour, and everyone in the UK, Canada, Australia and all the other constitutional monarchies whose ultimate ruler is the British monarch stop wearing green? Yes, of course, that happens routinely in modern society – not.

Rule of Law is a concept we had to invent

Rulership and government are concepts we had to invent, so of course the Rule of Law is a concept we had to invent.

Your comments that follow go through an array of permutations, but all come back to the concept that someone owns property, by right (that is, by Law).

Under medieval law, in theory the King owned everything.

Hence, everything is the private property of the King, and he has the right to use it, including to

take back whatever portion of it he desired. The King lent his property to his vassals, but that doesn't mean that they then owned it. Rather than ownership, what the King was granting was usury - the right to use the hold the property but not to have it. The vassal then was to use the property for their own upkeep - this was considered a gracious dispensation that they should be quite grateful for - and the surplus they were to return to the lord.

The King owns the land and the vassals are granted a right to use it. The benefits flowing from working the land are shared between the vassals and the King. This sounds a lot like sharecropping. Those vassals, in turn, grant a “sublease” to their own vassals, allowing them to use the property under a similar arrangement. At each tier, the user of the property pays a portion of the benefits of its use to the person who granted them the right to use the property.

In the absence of private property, those using the property would not be required to share the benefits with the person who granted them the right to use that property, right up to the ultimate owner (the one person who owns this private property).

So while the concept and feeling that property ought to be 'mine' existed, what the law actually said is that this feeling was wrong and indeed criminal, and in fact property was not private.

I suggest rather that while the concept and feeling that property ought not to belong to the King might well have existed, what the law actually said is that this feeling was wrong and indeed criminal, and in fact property was owned by the King, so one could not use it without becoming beholden to its actual owner, the King, whether directly or through a chain of persons who had been granted rights to use the property.

This is actually a very ancient and far from unique theory of property ownership. The same sort of theory pervaded most of the cradle of civilization, where the majority of citizens (even powerful persons of high social standing) were slaves and in theory owned nothing, but had only use of property loaned them by their lord.

Here again, the private property of their lord, which they may use only as he permits. Not communal property that anyone may use as he or she sees fit.

Marxism moves ownership of property to “the state”, and in its purest form would be used communally for the benefit of all. The Hutterites have a similar communal structure, on a much smaller scale. I do not believe there has ever been a true Marxist state. It too is a Lawful state – while it removes “private property”, at least in large part (I think what I take in accordance with my need is my private property – mankind having never succeeded in a long-term pure Marxist state, it’s hard to tell with certainty), the concept of “ownership” remains in the form of the State. However, the difference is real – the King could do what he wishes with the property (at least in theory) where the State is an intangible entity which (again in theory) will always pursue the best interests of the members of the State.

I note, however, that there may be an underlying theme to our disagreement. I find “selfishness” to be a trait associated with Evil (good is altruistic and generous, while Evil pursues its own desires exclusively; Neutrals are in the middle, placing more value on their own desired, but recognizing some lines they will not cross solely for their own gratification).

Well, first of all, Robin Hood is a idealized romantic bandit figure.

Yeah, the first example in a page and a half actually relevant to a game.

And we don't consider Robin Hood evil because he is only stealing back what has already been stolen.

The ability to determine he is only stealing back what has already been stolen presupposes there was a rightful owner of this private property at the start of the chain. To me, however, I don’t care whether it was already stolen. Robin Hood steals from those who would hoard resources so he can distribute those resources to those in dire need of them. This is Good regardless of the source of these resources.

He breaks the law, and lives outside the norms of society, to pursue that Good agenda. One could argue he is Chaotic, choosing this wild life of a rogue, Lawful, forced into exile by those who usurped the power of the rightful King Richard, whose goals he still pursues, or somewhere in between, motivated by people in need, and not capriciousness or loyalty to a usurped King. I have never seen anyone argue he does not fall within the D&D category of Good.

Ali Baba on the other hand is the villain; I'm not sure where you get the idea that he's not evil. He exists in the story to give the hero some treasure he can steal without being evil, since Ali Baba's treasure is itself stolen.

Ali Baba steals from thieves, which either makes him a thief or does not (depending on whether one believes the property belongs to the 40 thieves or not). Really, Ali Baba is a lot like adventurers, working his way into a dungeon in search of treasure. The 40 thieves have a feel reminiscent of the bandits low level adventurers often encounter.

Any legal system where we believe that grant someone the ability to take something which does not belong to them

Presupposes personal ownership of that property by another person, that is the concept of private property.

, typically speaking, systems that allow the rich to take from the poor in order to enrich themselves. Most libertarians in fact believe that most taxation is simply legalized theft, enforced at the point of a gun.

I would classify libertarians , especially the extremists, as Chaotic. In Canada, I am amazed at “de-taxers”, who assert the government lacks any right to tax them, consistently being identified because they file tax returns with no income to claim social benefits.

The purer you get on your stand on individual liberty, the more all state actions seem like a sort of theft.

First, we must remembering that Chaotics prize individual liberty, where Lawfuls value society. However, to classify anything as “theft”, we must start with the belief that someone owns the property. Property cannot be stolen if no one owns it – who is it being stolen from? To have “theft”, we must first have “ownership”.

Please cite any system of laws which lacks a concept of “theft”, or considers one person taking from another to be OK. One cannot have theft without having private property first. In the absence of private property, there is nothing wrong with me walking into your house and raiding the fridge. You don’t own (or have any rights over) the house, the fridge or the food. To me, that’s a pretty Chaotic society, but you would seem to have me accept it is the ultimate expression of pure Lawfulness.

No no no no no. I'm going to great lengths to explain how a person can steal without being evil.

Why? I agree that one can steal without being Evil (D&D).

I'm justifying good people doing things that appear to be theft.

They ARE theft. Stealing is theft. It is not inherently Evil. I can steal a loaf of bread to feed my family. That does not seem evil. I can steal it from a starving man. That seems a lot more evil. My character can steal the Amulet of Undead Mastery from its original creator, Norman the Necromancer, to prevent him from raising a legion of undead warriors and destroying the world. That is stealing - Norman created the amulet himself from thin air. I would not classify it as a Good act. I suspect few would consider stealing the bread baked by a baker, or the armor crafted by the armorsmith a Lawful act, but my Paladin will likely be forgiven for taking a Chaotic action in this instance.

Which reminds me – you never did answer my request for examples of how Paladins would operate on the basis that no one actually owns anything, as private property is a Chaotic concept. Given the idea was to keep this a gaming thread (I blew that a few thousand times over already), maybe we should address the game concepts.

Lawful Evil and Lawful Neutral examples haven't even been brought up, and if you want to explain how private property is lawful concept you need to show its a distinctive and pervasive feature of LN society. I think you'll find that difficult,

Your own example of the slumlord throwing out a tenant and keeping his possessions is a fine one. He is using the law for his own selfish ends, whether coldly and heartlessly, or even maliciously to cause pain to his (former) tenant.

Capitalism is such a loaded term. But, to the extent you mean a Free Market Economy, this is strictly speaking a non-Lawful concept. Even this ought to be obvious by definition, as the extreme end of a Free Market Economy would be laissez-faire - that is free from rules or interference by the state.

Even the ultimate extremes of laissez-faire still required enforcement of contract law.

The worst examples of laissez-faire reflect no real understanding of a free market economy, as such an economy lacks anyone with market power. Labour is a commodity in a pure free market economy (and the worker typically does lack market power), but there are also no barriers to entry in a true free market (so not a small group of employers able to collude in order to fix the price and terms of labour). Much like a pure Marxist economy, there is no pure free market economy.

http://cubahomeforsale.com/ Looks like one can purchase – that is, own – real estate in Cuba.

I do, however, agree that humans are unlikely to ever be purely any alignment descriptor.

But by and large, I find your arguments incoherent on their own terms.

See extensive discussion of how medieval society contemplates everything being owned by a single individual, but having no concept of private property/property ownership.

You want to argue that private property is lawful, and theft therefore chaotic.

The law/chaos axis is where I would place property rights, yes.

But you are also going to argue to me that the basis of good is doing unto others what you'd have done to you, so under what theory is stealing from others not doing things to them you wouldn't have done to you?

That would be the good/evil axis, so it has nothing to do with whether an action is Lawful or Chaotic. Stealing bread to feed a starving man is not an evil act, but it may well be perceived as such by the baker who would rather let that man starve so he can sell the bread to some rich, overfed fat guy and buy a big screen TV. The Baker can achieve his ends Lawfully.

Again no. Strictly speaking, "Valuing what is best for others, not just what is best for oneself", is a neutral concept since it implies that both the self and others have value. Valuing others over the self is the lawful concept

So it is embraced by all the Devils of Hell? I think they value self above others – and well above others to boot, despite being paragons of Law. To me, that selfishness is their Evil side.

Altruism or selflessness is the principle or practice of concern for the welfare of others. It is a traditional virtue in many cultures and a core aspect of various religious traditions and secular worldviews, though the concept of "others" toward whom concern should be directed can vary among cultures and religions.

Remember, "Good" implies altruism, respect for life, and a concern for the dignity of sentient beings.

It's appalling to the idea of Law that how one should behave should be left up to personal interpretation - however Good the intention of that interpretation may be.

Yet Paladins (and everyone else) must make those personal judgements all the time.

No, it doesn't. It depends no altruism at all. It's a pragmatic declaration of the limits of one rights, without which everyone's rights would be trampled by the strong and no one would have them.

A situation of Chaotic Evil, where might makes right, and no one has intrinsic rights (human or otherwise), unfettered by any rules. The acceptance of constraints on my freedom for the benefit of others is a compromise of Chaotic ideals in the interests of Good (or, at a minimum, non-evil). The Wiccan Rede says I should harm no one. It does not suggest I seek to impose that requirement on anyone else, nor that I should take any steps to prevent such harm being done to them.

In my view, the "right to swing my fist" limit is consistent with an interpretation of the Wiccan Rede, under which the avoidance of harm to others is a constraint upon doing whatever I please, and a tendency towards Good rather than Evil. Perhaps not enough of a tendency to move from N to G, but a shift upwards on that Great Wheel away from exactly 3 o'clock.

zabom

First Post
It is difficult to read a thread such as this and not inject your own personal philosophies and politics, especially when you are a person who has passionate beliefs. For the purposes of civility and a love for a game that brings people of all beliefs together I want to state up front that although I firmly believe I am right philosophically I do not want to make anyone with opposing views feel threatened or belittled. It is the fact that we all can have diverse views on things that seem so definitive to ourselves that makes conversations such as this worth having. That said, there are a few statements that stand out to me as "socially accepted dogma" one of which I would like to offer an opposing view.

I find “selfishness” to be a trait associated with Evil (good is altruistic and generous, while Evil pursues its own desires exclusively; Neutrals are in the middle, placing more value on their own desired, but recognizing some lines they will not cross solely for their own gratification).
The word "selfish" has undergone a change in meaning over the last 60 years. It's original definition was "being concerned about ones own self interests" It has since been appended to include the qualifier of "without regard to the interests of others." for clarification purposes I will use the newer and more commonly accepted definition. First I would point out that it is not evil to want to look after ones own self interests. In fact it can be said that doing so is a virtue as it implies also taking responsibility for ones own actions and decisions. Certainly expecting others to take responsibility for your actions and decisions can not be considered good. It is the "without regard to the interests of others" portion of the definition that comes into question. To this point I would like to ask why must I consider the interests of others when it is their responsibility to do that themselves? If for example we are in a business deal, I will look after my interest, the person I am dealing with will look after his own, and we must come to an agreement that serves to make us both happy. If the agreement does not make the other party happy it is his responsibility to bring the problem up and choose to not agree. It is not my responsibility to know or care what will make him happy. I look after my own self interests. He looks after his. We come to a fair agreement. There is no "good" or "evil" at play. On the other hand, society would have us believe that altruism = good. I take exception to this on the point that altruism is the philosophy of self-sacrifice. It teaches that the ultimate good is to give wholly of ones self. What gets overlooked in this process is that for every act of giving, there is an act of receiving. Why is it considered selfish (evil) to want to keep what you have and have earned, but it is not considered selfish to accept that which you have not earned from others? Furthermore when a government forces this kind of altruism on it's citizens where is the charity? One might say that a government that takes money from the wealthy to feed the poor is good, but it must be pointed out that it can't be considered an act of charity since it is giving away the property of others not it's own. A government that proclaims itself to be altruistic makes a false claim. A government cannot be altruistic. Since it produces nothing on its own it sacrifices nothing on it's own. Forced altruism cannot be good because it is a government that is forcing you to be altruistic not your own goodness. At the point a welfare system is enacted, feeding the poor leaves the domain of good/evil and becomes the domain of lawful/chaotic. If anything remains of the good/evil domain at that point it would have to be evil since the government is at that point taking the earned rewards of one citizens productivity and giving it to someone who has done nothing to deserve it. To me good and evil do not parallel selfish and altruistic but instead parallel productive and unproductive. I also would accept that good and evil parallel honest and dishonest.

N'raac

First Post
The word "selfish" has undergone a change in meaning over the last 60 years. It's original definition was "being concerned about ones own self interests" It has since been appended to include the qualifier of "without regard to the interests of others." for clarification purposes I will use the newer and more commonly accepted definition. First I would point out that it is not evil to want to look after ones own self interests. In fact it can be said that doing so is a virtue as it implies also taking responsibility for ones own actions and decisions. Certainly expecting others to take responsibility for your actions and decisions can not be considered good. It is the "without regard to the interests of others" portion of the definition that comes into question.

OK so far.

To this point I would like to ask why must I consider the interests of others when it is their responsibility to do that themselves? If for example we are in a business deal, I will look after my interest, the person I am dealing with will look after his own, and we must come to an agreement that serves to make us both happy. If the agreement does not make the other party happy it is his responsibility to bring the problem up and choose to not agree. It is not my responsibility to know or care what will make him happy. I look after my own self interests. He looks after his. We come to a fair agreement. There is no "good" or "evil" at play.

This is laissez-faire capitalism at its finest. Can it work? In some cases. However, it presupposes equal bargaining power. Let us assume that our business deal relates to an employer/employee relationship. The employer knows that the economy is poor, the worker had a family to feed and the potential employee pool generally lacks the resources to move elsewhere. So he insists the employees work 75 hours a week for a pittance in pay, under unsafe working conditions, because if you don't, you can just starve.

Now, is there some good or evil involved?

On the other hand, society would have us believe that altruism = good.

The D&D rules incorporate that, so I accept it for purposes of the discussion.

I take exception to this on the point that altruism is the philosophy of self-sacrifice. It teaches that the ultimate good is to give wholly of ones self. What gets overlooked in this process is that for every act of giving, there is an act of receiving. Why is it considered selfish (evil) to want to keep what you have and have earned, but it is not considered selfish to accept that which you have not earned from others? Furthermore when a government forces this kind of altruism on it's citizens where is the charity? One might say that a government that takes money from the wealthy to feed the poor is good, but it must be pointed out that it can't be considered an act of charity since it is giving away the property of others not it's own. A government that proclaims itself to be altruistic makes a false claim. A government cannot be altruistic. Since it produces nothing on its own it sacrifices nothing on it's own. Forced altruism cannot be good because it is a government that is forcing you to be altruistic not your own goodness. At the point a welfare system is enacted, feeding the poor leaves the domain of good/evil and becomes the domain of lawful/chaotic. If anything remains of the good/evil domain at that point it would have to be evil since the government is at that point taking the earned rewards of one citizens productivity and giving it to someone who has done nothing to deserve it. To me good and evil do not parallel selfish and altruistic but instead parallel productive and unproductive. I also would accept that good and evil parallel honest and dishonest.

If I take this logic to its ultimate extreme, I get the old English workhouses, orphanages placing children into forced labour so they don't starve and the infirm and disabled kicked out into the streets. Returning to my employer/employee example, if you get injured under those unsafe working conditions, you can enjoy a promising career as a beggar. It's not MY problem you can no longer do the work. Still no good/evil aspect?

zabom

First Post
This is laissez-faire capitalism at its finest. Can it work? In some cases. However, it presupposes equal bargaining power. Let us assume that our business deal relates to an employer/employee relationship. The employer knows that the economy is poor, the worker had a family to feed and the potential employee pool generally lacks the resources to move elsewhere. So he insists the employees work 75 hours a week for a pittance in pay, under unsafe working conditions, because if you don't, you can just starve.

Now, is there some good or evil involved?
The evil involved lies in the act of using unfair leverage against the employee not within the selfishness of the businessman. While his selfishness is the motive behind his evil acts, we cannot come to the false conclusion that a motive is or can be evil. For if we do so, than we must conclude that all motives to do evil are evil. In that case love is evil because men have murdered for love. Freedom must be evil because wars have been fought for freedom. In this case the businessman's dishonesty is the evil and let's not also forget that if the shoe were on the other foot and the businessman was bound by the leverage of an over-reaching union that demanded unrealistic wages without ensuring employee productivity, no one would be screaming about the selfishness of the employee.

The D&D rules incorporate that, so I accept it for purposes of the discussion.

Valid, however D&D rules designate alignment to the individual not to governments, so we are already stepping outside of those rules with this discussion.

If I take this logic to its ultimate extreme, I get the old English workhouses, orphanages placing children into forced labour so they don't starve and the infirm and disabled kicked out into the streets. Returning to my employer/employee example, if you get injured under those unsafe working conditions, you can enjoy a promising career as a beggar. It's not MY problem you can no longer do the work. Still no good/evil aspect?

This is actually the thought process that is so detrimental to freedom. I do not know what country you come from, but I am from the US. Our government was founded on the beliefs that government's sole purpose is to protect the rights of the people. It was later that people of a more socialist mentality decided that government should see to the needs of the people. The problem, is that when government sees to the needs of the people, people become dependent on the government for those needs. This is the core statement of my argument that I want you to think about -Freedom without independence is an illusion.- Let that sink in for a minute. When you live under your parents roof are you truly free? No, because you must conform to their rules no matter how unfair you think them to be, because you are dependent on them. Let me describe a situation to you and after I am done I will tell you what I have described. As you read it ask yourself if it sounds good. You have all of the food you need to live supplied. You have a roof over your head at no charge, and are given free medical care. You are expected to do your fair share of work, but you can not be fired no matter how inept you are at your job. All of your needs are met and all you have to do is obey the rules of those that supply them. What I just described is slavery. Granted I didn't mention the beatings, murders, rapes and unsanitary living conditions, but neither will a government that promises to supply all your needs until they have you completely dependent. Once again, freedom without independence is an illusion. Now lets look at how things work when the government is more interested in protecting rights. You have the right to seek fair compensation for your work. You have the right to be paid more if you work more. You have the right to quit if the employer is unfair. You have the right to grow your own food, collect your own water, and hunt and fish for your own meat. You have the right to create and build your own business and to keep the fruits of your labor. This system actually worked in the US until the government started playing with and regulating the economy. People are quick to say that government economic intervention was necessary to get us out of the depression, but they forget that it was the governments choice to step away from the gold standard and print, for the first time, $500,000,000 without gold backing that led to the stock market crash in the first place. The sudden inflation that resulted caused every item that had been sold on credit to be worth more than the amount owed. Businesses were forced to take the loss and the subsequent stock market crash caused the depression that the government then stood up and took action to "save" the "failed capitalist economy." Laissez-faire capitalism works if you let it, and if the government remains focused on the rights of the people to supply their own needs. It is when the government tries to supply those needs itself that capitalism fails, not because capitalism is flawed but because it cannot work in an impure semi-socialist state.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I forget to add that in B2: Keep on the Borderlands, the Keep is Lawful, the surrounding Wilderness is Neutral, and the Caves of Chaos are Chaotic in alignment. All of them count as groups of populations living together, but how they live is what matters.

Alignment is all about behaviors and if elements are going to be treated as components of a larger whole, the behavior of those elements is what results in its classification. Like size results in size category or strength in strength score.

C4

Explorer
Thanks for the replies, all. I've been reading for ideas and inspiration!

On further reflection, my exemplars will all have exemplary governments -- that is, idealized governments which actually work as ideally intended because the exemplars themselves are exemplary citizens. In the mortal world though, each race of exemplars will promote less-than-ideal governments, as we do in the real world. The goal is to promote the proliferation of mortals with one's own alignment, because this results in more souls headed to one's home-plane after death. And this requires mortal governments which nurture those alignments.

I guess you can say that governments don't themselves have alignments in this scheme; rather, different governments tend to naturally encourage different alignments.

N'raac

First Post
The evil involved lies in the act of using unfair leverage against the employee not within the selfishness of the businessman. While his selfishness is the motive behind his evil acts, we cannot come to the false conclusion that a motive is or can be evil.

I would suggest that his self-interest is not in itself evil. It is his selfishness (from the definition you suggested above, self-interest above all regard for others) which is evil.

In this case the businessman's dishonesty is the evil and let's not also forget that if the shoe were on the other foot and the businessman was bound by the leverage of an over-reaching union that demanded unrealistic wages without ensuring employee productivity, no one would be screaming about the selfishness of the employee.

Where did we say the businessman was dishonest. He can lay out the facts – if you do not agree to work under my terms, you will have no work. You and your family will starve.

If the balance of power falls too far the other way, as it definitely has with certain union situations, the the same failure of the assumption of free market economics – no individual producer or consumer possesses the power to impact the market itself - causes the system to fail because the free market simply is not there.

Valid, however D&D rules designate alignment to the individual not to governments, so we are already stepping outside of those rules with this discussion.

It also designates alignment to entire planes of existence. If we’re discussing attributing D&D alignments to governments or systems of government, I think we have to use the alignment definitions D&D provides us with. You don’t have to agree D&D Good is the appropriate definition of what is good – [MENTION=4937]Celebrim[/MENTION] covers that quite eloquently upthread.

This is actually the thought process that is so detrimental to freedom. I do not know what country you come from, but I am from the US. Our government was founded on the beliefs that government's sole purpose is to protect the rights of the people.

Much though I know I should simply avoid real world politics, history, etc…

The US was founded from a lengthy war of independence that commenced with the slogan “No taxation without representation”. It is now the only nation that applies universal taxation on its citizens, wherever they may reside. Those nonresidents have no congressman and no senator. They have no ballot in State governance. They can (after herculean effort, based on a US citizen I know) obtain their ballot for President. In the event the Electoral College splits exactly equally (which I believe would be unprecedented), someone will even count their ballot. I submit the US is, today, the King of taxation without representation, before we get into their taxation of non-citizens of the US (where they are pretty much like every First World nation).

The US is also, I believe, the only country still basing their measurement system on the appendages of the monarchs of that country from which they fought so hard for independence from. So it goes…

It was later that people of a more socialist mentality decided that government should see to the needs of the people. The problem, is that when government sees to the needs of the people, people become dependent on the government for those needs. This is the core statement of my argument that I want you to think about -Freedom without independence is an illusion.- Let that sink in for a minute. When you live under your parents roof are you truly free? No, because you must conform to their rules no matter how unfair you think them to be, because you are dependent on them.

Just as the employee (employer) in my example must live by the terms laid down by his employer (union), no matter how unfair he thinks them to be, because he is dependent on them.

Let me describe a situation to you and after I am done I will tell you what I have described. As you read it ask yourself if it sounds good. You have all of the food you need to live supplied. You have a roof over your head at no charge, and are given free medical care. You are expected to do your fair share of work, but you can not be fired no matter how inept you are at your job. All of your needs are met and all you have to do is obey the rules of those that supply them. What I just described is slavery.

The question simply comes to what rules are set. You are attributing the desire to provide for peoples’ needs to an evil motivation (because I want to control them). This is no different than asserting that all self-interest is inevitably evil.

Granted I didn't mention the beatings, murders, rapes and unsanitary living conditions, but neither will a government that promises to supply all your needs until they have you completely dependent.

Nor will the business owner whose employees are victims of economic slavery.

I owe my soul to the company store.

Beatings and murders? What happened to those early labour movement organizers?

Rapes? Certainly took place within the English sweatshops of the 1800s.

Un sanitary living conditions? Shantytowns abounded in the days of Laissez-Faire capitalism.

Once again, freedom without independence is an illusion. Now lets look at how things work when the government is more interested in protecting rights. You have the right to seek fair compensation for your work.

Do those employers have the right to work together to set wages and working conditions? Back to that unequal bargaining power issue again.

You have the right to be paid more if you work more.

Even today, a lot of people work for fixed salaries. Are you suggesting the government impose and enforce an hourly compensation model? What happened to freedom, independence and laissez-faire?

You have the right to quit if the employer is unfair.

And look forward to a promising career as a beggar, or the joys of starvation. Or maybe your daughter can enter an old profession and help support the family.

You have the right to grow your own food, collect your own water, and hunt and fish for your own meat.

On whose land am I doing so?

You have the right to create and build your own business and to keep the fruits of your labor.

Workers eventually had unions. Businesses had guilds and cartels long before that.

This system actually worked in the US until the government started playing with and regulating the economy. People are quick to say that government economic intervention was necessary to get us out of the depression, but they forget that it was the governments choice to step away from the gold standard and print, for the first time, $500,000,000 without gold backing that led to the stock market crash in the first place. The sudden inflation that resulted caused every item that had been sold on credit to be worth more than the amount owed. Businesses were forced to take the loss and the subsequent stock market crash caused the depression that the government then stood up and took action to "save" the "failed capitalist economy."

Leaving aside any other issues (like the actual history of the gold standard - US suspending the gold standard in 1914 due to foreign exchange issues, restoring it in late 1914, followed by restricting it by prohibiting exports of gold while it was a participant in WW I, ending that in 1917, after which they stuck with the gold standard until early 1933, when it had also been abandoned by most other currencies, which makes it REALLY hard to credit abandoning the gold standard being the cause of the 1929 stock market crash and the Great Depression which followed), none of this has anything to do with laissez-faire capitalism (much less alignment, D&D or RPG’s in general, which are but a distant memory at this point in the thread).

Anyway, moving on…

Laissez-faire capitalism works if you let it, and if the government remains focused on the rights of the people to supply their own needs. It is when the government tries to supply those needs itself that capitalism fails, not because capitalism is flawed but because it cannot work in an impure semi-socialist state.

I’m not aware of a single historical instance which would show laissez-faire capitalism working.

My intro Econ prof many years ago described the history of economics , with each major era ending with “and then X happened, which was impossible, so we needed a new theory”. Adams Smith’s invisible hand didn’t make it past the 19th century, IIRC, although variations obviously continue. Much like pretty much every sloganized philosophy, though, laissez-faire capitalism didn’t really bear much resemblance to the actual theories of Adam Smith, any more than Stalin could claim to be running a nation on Marxist prinicpals.

One of the problems with macroeconomic theory is that it is the Macro. Well, it’s good to have 10% unemployment. It’s not so good for the 10% who are unemployed and starve to death. Laisez-faire capitalism says leave them in the street. Good, or Evil? I know what the D&D alignment chart would say, and that’s really as far as I want to take the discussion (way further than I should have…)

What actually broke serfdom from the Middle Ages?

The Black Plague. It killed off so many labourers that their services had a demand exceeding supply, so for the first time in history they had market power. Good for the ones that survived, anyway.

Clearly a fantastic example of laissez-faire capitalism and Benevolent Goodness, right?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases