• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

how do i get "the fire" back?

jollyninja

First Post
i realise once a month someone does this. i find myself rapidly losing the will to campaign. in any way, as dm or player. i have tried playing characters that do not fit my normal range and i have tried changing settings.

in a span of one month i went from being extremely content with the game i was a player in to not being sure if i will ever play dnd again. nothing happened of any signifigance in the game to make me lose interest. i can't figure out what happened.

Crothian

First Post
Perhaps the outside world? I always loose a little interst arounf hte first of the month becasue all my freaking bills are due, and it effects me in everything I do.

Moleculo

First Post
A While ago i went through the same thing, and what got me backl in the mood to game turned out to be watching Conan the Barbarian. It reminded me of the reasons i played, hacking and slashing, quests, chopping off heads, treasure, spoils of war, To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women, i mean, uh, i digress. go watch some fantasy movies! in any case goodluck

jake

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I went and played a lot of other games: Amber Diceless, Magic the Gathering, a few computer games, and hardly touched a role-playing game for two or three years.

Then I came back. :)

You don't have to devote your entire life to D&D. There are other things to do...

Cheers!

johnsemlak

First Post
If you stop, don't make the mistake I did and loose or give away your stuff. Keep it locked away somewhere, at least the books/modules you really like.

When the interest comes back, you'll dig them out and use them.

Myself, with the exception of my old beat up copy of GDQ1-7, I've had to rely on ESDs for my favorite classic materials.

Last edited:

Sanackranib

First Post
losing the will . . .

The last group I was in degenerated almost into physical violence,
our DM was just a bad DM there's no other way to put it. I felt then much as you do now. What worked for me was to get in with an entirely new group of players and start a new game without all the old prejudices and injuries as well as a firmer resolve not to let that stuff creep back into the game. So far we have had 4 sessions and I have to say, even as a DM I REALLY look forward to our game as to all my players. the change in me is huge! for the first time in years I am actually Excited about running the game again, and I am equally excited about playing when my time comes around again.:D

another solution may be to take a short break or change things up by alturnating you game with wargames such as axis and allies or shogun. there are pleanty of other good ones out there and since most wargamers are also gamers chances are good that you or one of your friends or other players in your game own a copy of one of them.
hope that helps.;)

jdavis

First Post
We try to switch things up every once in awhile, normally it's because of a TPK but alot of times we just get sick of it, try a different gave with a completely different style to it, different setting, different rules just to find something different.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Try out some new RPG systems or settings.

How about a superhero campaign with Silver Age Sentinels (the Tri-Stat version - you need a break from d20, after all...)?

Or a far-future but realistic Giant Robot campaign with the absolutely brilliant Heavy Gear?

Or an exploration of the solar system with Transhuman Space, which mostly focuses on "hard SF" and features no aliens - but has far more possible player character "species" than most D&D worlds?

Or some really over-the-top non-D&D fantasy with White Wolf's Exalted?

Do any of these sound intriguing to you? Then check them out!

Maybe it is time for a change if you are getting burned out by D&D...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads