DDAL How do I start doing DDAL?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There's a new RPG club starting tomorrow night near me. I'll be going along.

I'm - vaguely - considering starting up some DDAL stuff. I'd be willing to arrange/run it at the club. However --

How do I do that? What do I need? Do I have to register for something, or do I just buy some adventures off DMsG and run them? Where do I get "certs", and what are "certs"? Does it matter if characters are official or not?

- Clueless in Southampton.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Yes, characters have to be built via the AL rules. You can download the Player's Guide and DM Guide at the AL website. Everything should be in those. Then look up AL adventures on DMs Guild and you should be good to go. You don't need to worry about certs, since they aren't required anymore. Join the AL Facebook and Google+ pages if you like, as well.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

rczarnec

Explorer
You can get the information about AL from DMs Guild. The guides include information on what character options are legal as well as other requirements (such as no homebrew options).
Player Pack (free)
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/208...Players-Pack?sb=1&filters=45470_0_0_0_0_0_0_0
DM Pack (free)
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/208179/DD-Adventurers-League-DM-Pack?filters=45470_0_0_0_0_0_0_0

There is a filter for Adventurer's League so that you can filter out non AL material. There is also a content catalog which lists the AL Legal adventures.
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/208...tent-Catalog?sb=1&filters=45470_0_0_0_0_0_0_0

If you buy a DDAL adventure from DMs Guild, the cert file will be included. They aren't required, but they can be nice to have.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What *is* a cert?

I (as in EN World) have just agreed to sponsor a new local gaming club here in Southampton, so running a DDAL thing there is definitely something I'm tempted to do.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
When AL first started, any magic items that came in an adventure came with a certificate printed on cardstock that "proved" you received it. Cons and epics also gave out special things via certs, like a griffon mount. It also allowed you to trade. It proved a bit unweildy, and now they just make sure you have your logsheet correct and use the honor system, like most of AL. Certs are nice and fun to have, but not necessary.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

jasper

Rotten DM
They used to give out a handy dandy 3 color certificate of the magic item/and other thingys that was in the adventure. You could hang on the wall, use as bookmark etc.
Ok it was just a slip of paper which just had the adventure name, number and what the magic item was.

rczarnec

Explorer
It is a certificate that can be given to a player that represents a reward that they earned in the adventure. These are typically for magic items (though not always).

Remove ads