How do I thin my collection? How do YOU thin your collection?

Hey folks, I have a quick question to ask:
What is the most effective way of shrinking the physical size of your game collection?
I gues the obvious answer is to "get rid of it". But how do you personally do it, if at all? How do you choose what goes and what should stay? Do you sell on ebay, on messageboards, or give it away? Any zen-like words of wisdom?

Sometimes, in periods of anxiety in my life, I find myself worring about how much space my game stuff takes up and even worrying about what is worth keeping or even what game I should be planning for. (outside of what I am playing at the moment anyway)

I have many game books that go unread or unused but are collected and I think I want to be a PLAYER of games and not really a collector. Game stuff is about the only object-hoarding issue I have other than the general books on my shelves, but I don't fret as much over the general books as I do with the game stuff.

I mean it's cool to own the complete run of Spelljammer products, but there are too many boxes of books that are sitting unread/unplayed. I think it comes down to that feeling of loss and regret that happens if I sell a book and suddenly feel the urge to play it later on.

So, how do you get rid of your game stuff?

pogre

Legend
I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I sell it.

Unused gaming materials hit ebay about once every year for me. I ask myself if I am going to run the game or use the book in the next 12-24 months. If I say "no" I sell it.

I do the same things with my unpainted miniatures from time-to-time. I rarely sell painted miniatures these days.

We also have a great little auction at our local convention and I ditch board games there almost every year as well.

DanotheSlender

First Post
you could send me some stuff LOL i have nothing except my dice and a folder with some of my old character sheets, everything else either got lost in a move, or waterdamaged while in storage..who knew a storage facility on the upper side of a hill would get hit that bad in a downpour. lost a ton of books other than my gaming books which were all AD&D and 2nd ed stuff...

Game On!!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If its in good shape, you can also donate it- the USO, some libraries, game clubs, & youth organizations would be happy to have them.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
As a retired military member, I salute your choice of donation. The DAV is a good place for veterans and has the need. (As do other charities to be sure)

I don't attend the DAV but I gone by there for services. Nice org.

Janx

Hero
to the OP, I guess the questions are:
how much excess"material are we talking about?
how much space is it taking up?
is your place crowded for space?
Are you suffering from a psychological disorder*?

*I don't think us internet people should diagnose you, but you mentioned the word "anxiety". If you are suffering from some mental complication, I advise not taking any action on this topic, as it's just your wiring acting up, applying pressure to do somthing that you probably don't need to do. Kind of like how somebody who hears voices should probably NOT do what the voices say.

Unless your house is short on space, there's little need to get rid of gaming books that you don't need/haven't used. From my perspective, such products are tools. Just because I haven't used the tool, doesn't mean I may not want/need to use it later.

Conversely, if you're tight on space, start by dumping the older game systems you've never played or haven't played since you picked up the new edition that you do play. If you can't bear to dump the 1e books, dump the oddball game systems you've never played.

From there, work on the add-on books that focus on stuff you've never used.

The relevance of this basic strategy is if you respond "I've got 9 books on my shelf" then that's a pittance of books (unless you live in a very tiny apartment).

S'mon

Legend
If it doesn't excite me when I look at it, it goes to the farm - the charity shop for local 'Deen City Farm' where children can come into contact with farm animals.

Edit: If it's useful for a game played at my D&D Meetup I'll give it away to somebody there - eg I gave away a wet-erase flipmat, 'Revenge of the Giants', a first printing of Labyrinth Lord, and a lot of surplus d20s. I *never* give away minis, though - they're evergreen! ;)

Years ago I used to sell stuff on amazon marketplace, but I haven't bothered doing that in a long time. It only seems worth it if it's something I think is pretty drek but is going for wads of cash to collectors.
Few RPG products meet that criteria, but I did get over £20 for "Slave Girl of Gor"! :lol:

Edit: You've inspired me to do a New Year's clean-out, cheers! :)

Last edited:

Remove ads