How do I turn off the endless "Are you sure" dialogs?

adamc

First Post
I go in and read a thread, I try to navigate somewhere else and I get this "Are you sure" dialog that forces me to confirm. It gets very irritating after a while. Is there any way to turn it off? What the heck is its purpose?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't know what you're referring to, but I'm not aware of any "Are you sure?" dialogues that are part of this software other than the occasional one when you delete something.

Perhaps a screenshot might clear things up a little, but right now I'm guessing it's something on your computer rather than at this end.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If you have typed in (or, I think, even clicked in) the Quick Reply box, it thinks you may want to post a reply, and may be asking for that reason.

What browser are you using?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ah, yes, it does check if you have entered but not submitted data, to make sure you know you'll lose it.

adamc

First Post
Sample image:
Capture.PNG

I'm running Firefox at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it in Chrome as well. It may be that I've clicked in the reply box (not intentionally), but I hit this often. There is definitely no actual data to be worried about in these cases.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yes, that's the confirmation dialog you see when it thinks you might have data to lose. So, my guess is that you see it because you've accidentally gotten focus on the quick reply box at the bottom of the page, so it asks.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, might help if we could see the screenshot in the context of the full page so we can see what you were doing at the time.

adamc

First Post
I hit it again last night -- had just clicked on a thread to read it, and got it when navigating away. Was nowhere near the quick-reply box, but will see if I can grab a screenshot the next time it happens.

Merely having the focus should not trigger such a confirmation box, however -- it should check that there _is_ data before querying.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Merely having the focus should not trigger such a confirmation box, however -- it should check that there _is_ data before querying.

And, in general, it probably is - note that the Meta Forum is not deluged with this particular complaint. It isn't like this is happening to everyone. So, we are talking about something that is likely a bit specific to you. And, between the forum software, your OS, your browser and browser plugins, and your own actions while viewing the thread, we can't just say, "Ah, the answer is clearly this one thing!"

Remove ads