D&D 5E How do royalty die in D&D?

GameOgre

Adventurer
In my games I wanted the ability to kill off people for good when I wanted to but I also wanted to have resurrections ect, So I stole a idea I read about in Steven Brust novels.

In my game there are Morganti Blades, weapons made of a strange black (very very rare)metal that don't just kill your physical form but kill your soul. Anyone killed by a Morganti blade is gone for good. Just flat out gone forever.

Because of this, those weapons are illegal almost everywhere and inspire fear in any sane person (especially PC's).

This lets me have npc's like Nobles killed, and player characters of epic level threatened and frightened.

Doesn't Resurrection require a body part/piece to be able to cast in the first place? It used to.

<rummages through 5e PHB> No! I'm shocked. So disintegrating a body or using green slime still is resurrect...-able? That's...seems wrong to me. But that's what the book say.

Actually, it still does. Range: touch. And the spell begins "You touch a dead creature..."

Have to have some kinda physical remains if you're gonna touch them. :)

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Actually, it still does. Range: touch. And the spell begins "You touch a dead creature..."

Have to have some kinda physical remains if you're gonna touch them. :)

Phew! Thanks. That is true. I just looked at components and saw 1,000gp diamond and skipped right past the first paragraph to get to the "details" below.

Reading Comp fail. But I feel better now. :)

was

Adventurer
How about an Assassination While Traveling. Maybe rebels or an elite group of soldiers from an opposing nation kills them and the bodies are never found. The only remains ever found are their dead bodyguards and a broken carriage. The bad guys are hoping to take advantage of the instability of a young and inexperienced ruler.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Not sure if 5e DMG will have something about this, but in 1e, there were two major factors. First, if you die of natural causes, you can not be brought back to life. Second, upon casting of the spell the character needs to make a Resurrection Survival roll (percent based; typically around the 60 to 70 percent mark for average CON). Then again, there was also the fact that if the soul did not want to come back, it did not have too...they could stay dead.

Paul L. Ming

baradtgnome

First Post
I had a similar concern in my old campaign world. This little bit of text was 'teaching' from a powerful cleric in the realm, which with the divine casters would have access. (It was written for 3.5E, but could be updated to reflect the new 5E rules - I have not done this yet as I have yet to DM 5E)

Many young acolytes question me about using our sacred granted powers to bring back those who have left this world through death. First let me remind you that the gods grant us only a limited time on this world, and when our bodies are spent we are meant to go on to whatever rewards we have earned in this life. You may have heard of stories regarding powerful magics that prevent aging and therefore extend life. Be wary of such attempts to circumvent the god's plans for us; it can only lead to corruption and ruin.

There are powerful spells that senior clerics are granted by the gods that can breach the barrier of death. All of these spells are subject to two core canons. First, the spirit of the deceased must be willing to return. No power we understand here or in the realms of the gods can force a spirit to come back to this world against their will. Second, the barrier of death is breached only by the combined power of the cleric on this world and the boon of a god or goddess to hold open a portal to the realm of the dead. It is no small feat for mortal and immortal to breach the curtain. The natural order of life and death is not easily put aside. It is rare and unusual for the gods to spend whatever power it requires to hold open the curtain between life and death that allows the mortal cleric to call back the dead. We have come to believe that a god or goddess will only spend their powers to part the curtain of death for those with an unfulfilled destiny here on the mortal world that furthers that immortals greater purpose.

An Augury can be cast asking a particular god if they will support the opening of the curtain of death. A answer of weal indicates an immortal's willingness to support your attempt. A Divination can be cast to determine if the mortal spirit is willing to return. Neither of these spells is required to be cast to have the Raise Dead, Resurrection, or True Resurrection spell be successful. However the prudent cleric will determine in advance whether or not it is possible for their attempt to breach the barrier of death before casting these spells as the material required for the spells is consumed regardless of success or failure.

Even though their spells are sometimes alien to us, we are certain that the druids of the woods have the same limitations to breaching the curtain of death.

BigVanVader

First Post
Who cares if someone's resurrected? They died, the crown went to someone else. Whatever happens after the fact doesn't change that, they're still not the king anymore.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Who cares if someone's resurrected? They died, the crown went to someone else. Whatever happens after the fact doesn't change that, they're still not the king anymore.

In a world where resurrection is available, who says that's how the laws of succession work? In fact, I imagine it'd be common to find death not impeding one's position one iota.

BigVanVader

First Post
In a world where resurrection is available, who says that's how the laws of succession work? In fact, I imagine it'd be common to find death not impeding one's position one iota.

I think it would go the other way. You would have five kings in a year as the royal family casually murder each other to wear the crown for a day. It would be a game in some kingdoms.

Remove ads