D&D 5E How do royalty die in D&D?

Zelc

First Post
I'm thinking of starting a campaign around a succession crisis. Basically, the king and queen die and the young heir is challenged by an uncle for the throne. I'm having trouble coming up with ways to kill off the king and queen who have access to mid-level clerics. I was hoping some of you would have good ideas :).

Here are possibilities I've come up with so far:
  • old age (doesn't really work since I want the heir to be young)
  • battle
  • sacrifices in a magic ritual to save the kingdom
  • assassination
  • accident while traveling
  • disease resistant to magical treatment

Way too late edit: I can find excuses for why they stay dead, I want them dead in the first place. Still a lot of good discussion for others on how to avoid royalty being resurrected.

Last edited:

Mirtek

Hero
Deities not granting ressurection willy nilly and making sure the mortals know who is the boss (aka no "deity X doesn't ressurect the king so her worship is baned from the kingdom nonesense)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'm thinking of starting a campaign around a succession crisis. Basically, the king and queen die and the young heir is challenged by an uncle for the throne. I'm having trouble coming up with ways to kill off the king and queen who have access to mid-level clerics. I was hoping some of you would have good ideas :).

For me, the premise that kings and queens have access to mid-level clerics at their beck and call is where I put the axe.

A mid-level cleric is a holy hero of legend, accomplishing great things in the name of their gods. Paying them to raise you after death would be like, I dunno, offering a living saint $100,000 to be your insurance policy.

The saint wouldn't do it in the first place, unless for some reason it advanced their religious cause, and then they'd do it for free, maybe even if you didn't want them to.

If you'd like to entertain a world with easy access to high-level magic like that, the easiest way to sharply spike the price is to destroy the body. It takes HIGH-level clerics to raise the dead without their body laying around. Assassination, wild beasts, dying while on an adventure in some wild land, whatever.

Henrix

Explorer
Raise Dead does not always work - the will of the gods and fate has a say in it.

Oh, sure, it works for PCs all the time. You did read that bit about fate above, didn't you? ;)

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Same way as anyone else:
1. They die on their own ["natural causes", old age, accident].
or 2. They are killed [attack, accident]. The who and how of attack or accident have infinite possibilities.

Thaaaat pretty much covers it.

And, as [MENTION=40810]Mirtek[/MENTION] notes, what spells their clerics have access to doesn't really matter, if the deity doesn't grant them. They might live longer. They could avoid stuff like common diseases and most poisons, death by accidental injury provided a cleric who can heal wounds was close at hand. But dead is dead and a Raise Dead or Resurrection are your only options. Those aren't [shouldn't be] just granted willy-nilly. [in my own homebrew there are only a few deities in the world whose clerics can possibly Raise Dead anyway.]

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Also, keep basic politics in mind - if the King is brought back to life by a cleric of a particular diety, that cleric and his religion would get an incredible amount of political pull - it's basically saying that the king (and therefore the kingdom) is subject to the whims of that god. Secondly, keep in mind that the heir (ie, now known as the NEW king) may well not want his predecessor brought back and therefore lose his newfound power. Thats leaving aside the issue of whether the king can be brought back, wants to come back, or that the god may not consider him worthy of being brought back.

Crothian

First Post
If you are having trouble killing them off and having them stay dead then don't kill them off. Have them have an accident but the bodies disappear. Divination is unclear if they are dead or not but in the mean time the throne cannot be left vacant. Maybe the Uncle has them hidden away. Maybe some powerful people who support the young heir do. Maybe the King and Queen are fed up with the restrictions and responsibility of being in charge so they staged their own deaths and ran.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
If you are having trouble killing them off and having them stay dead then don't kill them off. Have them have an accident but the bodies disappear. Divination is unclear if they are dead or not but in the mean time the throne cannot be left vacant. Maybe the Uncle has them hidden away. Maybe some powerful people who support the young heir do. Maybe the King and Queen are fed up with the restrictions and responsibility of being in charge so they staged their own deaths and ran.

How very Arthurian. This brings up a whole other way of looking at the issue; the king who "dies" and passes into legend...

Funny you'd ask this. I recently worked up the mechanics of royalty in the PC's home country for the ZEITGEIST adventure path.

Adventure Nine (No Spoilers) said:
The Rites of Rulership
The monarch of Risur derives powers from his or her position, but must rule with the approval of the populace. Herein are described the narrative and mechanical nature of the office.

Becoming Monarch
The current king or queen typically appoints a successor, which can be done as simply as saying out loud to a person that they are next in line to the throne. Anyone can be named a successor, regardless of race, nationality, or family.

Succession and Acceptance
When the current monarch dies or abdicates, the successor must be approved by the House of Nobles. The House of Nobles includes the current holders of any Baron, Viscount, Count, Earl, Marquess, or Duke titles (or the equivalent) handed out by the current or a previous monarch. Such titles can be revoked by royal decree, with consent of a majority of other nobles.

This can be done procedurally in advance if the nobles know the successor, which prevents a discontinuity of the monarchy. A consequence of this is that if a king who has named a successor dies and remains dead for more than a few minutes, the powers of the crown will be passed on, and cannot be reclaimed even if he were brought back from the dead.

If the current monarch dies without naming a successor, the House of Nobles can name one, but they must have majority approval of all nobles living in the land the monarch will rule.

Formal acceptance by the nobles grants the new monarch the powers detailed below under Lord of the Land. Once the people of Risur accept their new king or queen, he or she also gains the powers of Monarch of the Masses.

Contesting Control
At any time the monarch’s authority can be challenged if a majority of the nobles issue their grievance to him or her. The monarch retains the powers of Monarch of the Masses, but loses those of Lord of the Land.

Similarly, if the monarch is not supported by his or her citizens, the powers of Monarch of the Masses will be weaker.

The nature of the Rites has trouble with planar travel, and if the monarch travels to another world his or her power can contested by a majority of nobles or citizens on that plane.

Powers of the Monarch
Of course the monarch has political power to direct the army and navy, and to make broad dictates which generally the nobility enact into law. Immense wealth is available for his or her use, though restraint must be shown to avoid weakening the country. But the most famous powers of Risur’s kings and queens are tied to their defense of the homeland. The rites of rulership grant the monarch sufficient might to fend off a fey titan.

Lord of the Land
The monarch gains a +5 bonus to saves against charm, fear, and poison. When the monarch falls to 0 HP or below, each of the monarch’s allies within three miles is dazed for one round. If the monarch would die from a failed death saving throw, he or she can choose instead to become stable.

While in Risur, the monarch can spend a minor action once per round to move up to four 5-ft. cube of earth, stone, or foliage up to five feet.

The monarch can name creatures to forbid them from entering Risur via teleportation or planar travel for one month, but must know the person’s actual name. Likewise, the king can spend ten minutes to open a pathway to the Dreaming, though the current state of the planes prevents such a transition.

The monarch also receives the Crown of Risur, which lets the wearer always know the names of those he or she can see. As a free action the crown’s wearer can say someone’s name to grant them a save against charm, fear, or poison; but a given creature can only be granted one bonus save in this way per day.

Monarch of the Masses
When the monarch is engaged in battle with a person or group actively contending for control of Risur’s territory, his power is elevated to match the strongest individual among his enemies. When facing a fey titan, this gives a mortal man incredible strength and stamina, but it is of little use against invading armies, since the monarch is likely already about as powerful as even the most dangerous of his or her enemies.

When the monarch is in an encounter with a hostile creature that creature is contesting control of Risuri lands (or if the monarch is trying to conquer lands controlled by his or her enemy), the monarch gains the following benefits.

• A bonus to attack rolls and defenses equal to the difference in levels.
  • A bonus to Strength-, Dexterity-, and Constitution-based checks equal to 5+ half the difference in levels.
  • Regeneration equal to 5 + the difference in levels. Double this regeneration if the enemy is an elite, and quintuple it if the enemy is a solo.

Effects that factor in the difference in levels only care if the enemy is higher level. Fighting a lower-level foe never weakens the monarch. And the monarch only gains bonuses from a single enemy, whichever is of the highest level. After all, the rites were designed to help a man fight a fey titan, not two fey titans.

For example, when King Dukain (level 20) fought the Voice of Rot (level 28), he benefited from a +8 bonus to attack rolls and defenses, +9 to physical ability checks, and regeneration 65.

Remove ads