How do you, as a PC, prep for your next game?

How do you, as a PC, prep for your next game?

• Read the rules

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Read other RPGs for ideas

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Read fiction

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Update my character sheet numbers

Votes: 28 75.7%
  • Update my character's fluff (description/history/plans)

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Play video games (bonus for in-character)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Listen to motivational music (not Eye of the Tiger)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Watch related TV shows/movies

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sharpen my LARP weapons

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Listen to RPG podcasts

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Not a gods-damned thing

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

Between sessions, but after the character is made?

I practice speaking in my character's voice, saying things he or she would say, usually alone in my car.

I like to draw a picture of my character, although that only needs to he done once.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I make note of (and then try to remember!) when the next game is.

I sometimes read the rules if during last session something came up.

The one thing I do between sessions after each adventure (so, once every few real-world months) is make sure the party treasury is typed in and halfway organized, so as to make dividing it easier. Now that we're playing online (meaning the treasury is also online), I don't even have to do this as I can update the treasury on the fly.

Things like updating my character sheet etc. I do during the game.

cmad1977

Hero
I generally familiarize myself with character specific rules. Plan ahead a bit in terms of tactical usage of my characters abilities. Think about how to work with some of the other people on the squad.

I’ll also think about “who” the character is a bit. Just because I dumped Cha doesn’t mean my earnest honest folk hero isn’t gonna TRY to convince the thugs to lay down their arms.
What kind of tattoos does my barbarian get? What do they mean to him or his clan?

Most importantly..
MOST... IMPORTANTLY!!

I Think about cool phrases to drop. Especially if they can include a moment of teamwork. Puns are key.

ccs

41st lv DM
Were my PC prepping for a game I imagine they'd do it how I do as a player..... As well as taking any specific steps that'd apply in the fantasy world.

Now as a player?
  • I keep my sheet(s) accurate & up to date.
  • I keep all my stuff collected & organized so that I don't forget anything vital when I get in the car.
  • I make sure I know how any new rules/abilities/spells/items/etc my character has gained work.
  • I carefully consider the choices I'm making while lv up, etc from the PoV of the character I'm playing. If it doesn't fit the character? Then it doesn't get chosen. Not even if it's the mechanically optimal choice.
  • I make sure to keep "game time" free of other commitments as much as I can.
  • Sometimes I write a list of things I want to get done character-wise during a session.
  • I make sure to order my take out in time so that I can pick it up en-route & still arrive on time.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Well, the character might do some shopping, or use downtime to train or seek information, or socialize with friends and family.

As a player:

I will read up on the rules if need be. Update the character sheet if applicable. And if I am writing a chronicle, then write it out (will then take copious amounts of noted during the campaign)

aco175

Legend
I have a player that will print off monsters or paint figures he may have, that I may need coming up in the game. The downside is that he knows what is coming.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
as a PC, the lead two or three choices are big ones, but there is one other important one I don't really see mentioned. Plan for future character building decisions (spells/feats/etc) so I can be prepared & ready with an empowered PC who knows what they are doing & acts like it when those points are reached rather than fumbling along haplessly though progression. Unfortunately 5e has precious little room for deviation from "this is objectively the thing needed" with little or no subjectivity or meaningful options for parallel advancement & such

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Slam a cup of coffee and fill the thermos. Personal grooming. I usually up update my character sheet in session or soon after the session.

Though, once when I was playing a dwarven bard with a soldier back ground, I spent an inordinate time coming up with thinks to say when I cast vicious mockery that walked the fine line of being acceptable at the table.

Remove ads