D&D 5E How do you create your encounters?

When do you create a combat encounter, how do you do it?

• I use XP Thresholds from the DMG

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • I use Xanathar's Guidelines

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I just wing it

Votes: 28 51.9%
  • I use/modify encounters from adventures and random tables

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other, please explain in thread

Votes: 14 25.9%

Vael

Legend
DMs and adventure writers, when you've got to make a combat encounter, what is your process to do so? If you've used different tools, which do you find most helpful?

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I use the DMG guidelines. Not because I think they're perfect but they are a decent guideline to be on track. But huge set pieces are mostly just winged with a little DMG guidance. The in-between encounters are never deadly, rarely hard, mostly medium and sometimes easy, purposefully.

It's cool to die after surviving against the vampire lord for 4 rounds, doing significant damage that allowed the rest of your team to prevail. It is not cool to die from the vampire's thrall that only killed your character because he crit.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Well, I don't write combat encounters. Does that sound pretentious? Really though, I write encounters that include obstacles, some of which could be overcome by combat, but could also be overcome or avoided in other ways. I try to have an encounter goal for both the PCs and the party that aren't about swinging swords. Sure, swords out can often be the answer, but that's usually in the service of a greater goal.

As for balance, I have a serious lack of faith in the CR system and I mostly don't use it except as the most general of guidelines. If I go on the low end for CR and play it to the hilt it can still kill party members. I also like to go high sometimes so that the players don't get complacent thinking everything is leveled for their slaying pleasure. I won't spring the highball on the party though, it'll be telegraphed and the PCs get to make some choices about how lucky they feel.

jgsugden

Legend
I look at the DMG/Xanathar guidelines as a baseline, but I wing it and run quick 'fast and dirty' versions of the combats to make sure the balance is within reason. If you don't try to make every combat deadly, it is generally not a problem at all to wing it for most encounters.

R_J_K75

Legend
I just wing it most of the time. I have a pretty decent handle on what makes a challenging potentially deadly encounter without killing too many PCs. I have no problem killing them if they do something stupid or the dice go bad for them. But if Ive clearly made an encounter that is well beyond their means then I'll give them clues and an out then let them escape. If theyre too dumb to take the opportunity to flee and fight another day then its out of my hands at that point. Nowadays we only play about 3 hours at a time so I only plan one larger encounter per game. When I was running longer sessions I would use the DMG sometimes to create encounters/adventures.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

"Other"
...I 'write' encounters based on the world particulars. I could honestly care less about that capabilities the PC's have if it's an encounter anywhere other than a "dungeon" (re: specific local that is placed in the world and not 'part of' the world, like a swamp, city, etc). If it is in a "dungeon", then, before the PC's even get there (re: weeks in advance) I say "Ok, I have 5 PC's and they're all about level 4". That's it. After that, everything I create in the "dungeon" makes sense for that dungeon.

If the PC's don't have a cleric and there is a sub-level of the dungeon infested with undead and ruled by a Specter...well, tough nilbog's to them. Not my problem. Oh, what's that? They found a door that I had be magically wizard locked and they don't have a magic-user with a means to bypass it? shrug I guess they don't get past it then. Again, not my problem. Huh? They're in a small town and they just killed the mayors a-hole son? And the mayor is a retired 14th level Thief? Well, I guess I'll just start handing out blank character sheets now, because chances are every single one of those 4th level PC's will die from his vengeful hand...unless they do some amazing talking, reasoning and roleplaying!

In short: My job is to present a believable world with a consistency to it that allows the Players to make reasonably informed decisions. It is NOT my job to make sure their choices lead to success or failure. That's all on them. In other words, I don't "build encounters" to the PC's strengths or weaknesses. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

the Jester

Legend
This should really be multiple choice.

I decide what makes sense for the world. "Just wing it" is close, but inexact enough that I don't feel that it really represents my answer. Also, when I'm running a canned adventure, I use or modifier the encounters in it.

pogre

Legend
I used to use the guidelines in the books, but now I wing it. I usually have 6-8 players. Charts tend to break down when you have that many PC opportunities.

Retreater

Legend
When I plan an encounter I let an online encounter calculator like Kobold Fight Club do the math for me. Having different multipliers for different numbers of monsters makes my head spin.
If I have to come up with something on the fly, I usually just eyeball it.

Remove ads