D&D 5E How do you define “mother may I” in relation to D&D 5E?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
You've been using the pejorative Mother May I pretty freely in this thread. It seems like a situation of do as I say, not as I do for you to be calling out Entitled Players as a pejorative and tone policing.
I tried.

It didn't take.

What more do you want from me? I legitimately tried to use new terms. No one was biting. Not you, not @clearstream, not @FrogReaver, not anybody. How could I possibly have done any better?

And no, it's not "do as I say, not as I do." It's "alright, fine, if you're not going to stop the tone policing, I'll do it too." Because, guess what? You're tone policing right now! You're giving me crap for calling you out on tone policing, when it was you and yours who did it to begin with! And never had even a single shred of concern about it when it happened in the other direction!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I tried.

It didn't take.

What more do you want from me? I legitimately tried to use new terms. No one was biting. Not you, not @clearstream, not @FrogReaver, not anybody. How could I possibly have done any better?

And no, it's not "do as I say, not as I do." It's "alright, fine, if you're not going to stop the tone policing, I'll do it too." Because, guess what? You're tone policing right now! You're giving me crap for calling you out on tone policing, when it was you and yours who did it to begin with! And never had even a single shred of concern about it when it happened in the other direction!
Yes, I called out the pejorative Mother May I. That's not tone policing. That's not allowing someone to insult you with impunity.

Edit: As for you using new terms, perhaps you used them in conversations with other people that I often don't get involved in. If you used them with me, I would respond to what you said.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I might have missed that. What were the proposed terms?
"Red Light/Green Light" gaming. It retains essentially the same concept as the original, but avoids the specific issues cited with the nature of the children's game in question. RL/GL also makes it about communication (the "caller" says when to start and stop moving), and lessens the implicit Kafkaesque implications of MMI. (Edit: Apparently, for those in the UK, you may know of it as "Statues" or "Grandma's Footsteps" or "Fairy Footsteps.")

It was my offered olive branch, and it got pretty much completely ignored. Didn't even get criticism, which is why I stopped using it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
"Red Light/Green Light" gaming. It retains essentially the same concept as the original, but avoids the specific issues cited with the nature of the children's game in question. RL/GL also makes it about communication (the "caller" says when to start and stop moving), and lessens the implicit Kafkaesque implications of MMI. (Edit: Apparently, for those in the UK, you may know of it as "Statues" or "Grandma's Footsteps" or "Fairy Footsteps.")

It was my offered olive branch, and it got pretty much completely ignored. Didn't even get criticism, which is why I stopped using it.
I don't see why "traditional play" isn't an acceptable term. In traditional play, sometimes players have to ask the DM if it's okay to do something and/or the DM sometimes overrides a PC ability when it wouldn't work in the fiction.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Because this doesn't occur every time in "traditional play."
Neither do Mother May I or Red Light/Green Light. Outside of a really bad/abusive DM, these things you describe are occasional.
To use that would be pejorative--because it would be declaring that absolutely all "traditional play" becomes a matter of hunting for solutions rather than saying what you do and finding out what happens.
No, it wouldn't. The occasional instance of what is being described in this thread is a by product of traditional play. To avoid it, you have to go non-traditional.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
31 reports so far, and more coming in constantly. I don't have the time this Sunday night to babysit this thread, so it's getting closed.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
EDIT: Furthermore @Ovinomancer, later @Ovi, appears to disagree with your assessment of 5e specifically about the core rules rejecting the GM having sole authority given the below excerpts from 2 of his posts in this thread. Not having played 5e yourself, do you still maintain that some people don't follow the rules in this regard or do you disagree in that respect with your fellow poster Ovinomancer? I should also remind you that you XP'd the latter post, although there is a chance it wasn't for the excerpt specifically.
Mod Note:

Point of style: Ovinomancer/Ovi has been banned. I think you can make your point without invoking a banned poster who cannot dispute or agree with your interpretation of their posts.

Oops! Didnt see the closing.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads