D&D General How do you do horror when running D&D?

Rechan

Adventurer
This isn’t how to run a spooky game but how to do so with the D20 system itself.

Edit: I do not need tips on how to run a horror game, I am struggling with the rules getting in the way.

I want to run a horror campaign, and I feel like D&D is my only Real option because finding players for any other system is Tough. And horror is a small genre so I need all the chances I can.

But I feel that D&D is a poor system for horror because characters are so powerful. Even 1st level PCs have a lot of strength on their side, with spells and damage that can put a hurt on what they’re dealing with. Part of horror is feeling like you are at incredible risk, that you don’t have much of a chance of survival, but characters are hard to kill, and I think I’d be. To kill someone to demonstrate that fighting is risky as hell. It is the difference between dropping Joe Schmo into a horror movie vs trained soldiers. And then there s magic. Undead are just no as scary if you have a cleric, etc.

Also some mechanics feel clunky. The grapple rules for instance.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
I think it depends on the genre of horror. Gothic horror and Body horror are definitely possible, for instance.

The only horror genre I think is terribly ill-suited to D&D is Cosmic horror, just because the genre assumptions (humans as inconsequential) are at odds with the zero-to-hero of D&D.

It sounds like for you a horror game should inspire an enjoyable sense of anxiety in the players that their PCs are going to die. In that case, I think your move is easy: Design really hard asymmetric encounters & use nasty monsters like shadows which circumvent HP or boneclaws which lurk in the darkness and can kill on an ambush.

EDIT: Just remembered, I once incorporated a version of the Jenga tower (as used in the Dread RPG) in a one-shot 5e Halloween game, and it worked great to build suspense. Basically any time a player said "I open" or "I check it out" or "I explore", and so forth, I had them draw from the tower. If they drew without incident, then they found a clue. If the tower wobbled but stayed intact, I introduced ominous foreshadowing. And if the tower collapsed, then I sprung the monster on them.

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I agree that D&D 5e isn't good for horror. The PCs are too heroic and the implied setting too gonzo. I'd look to other systems for this.

Now if you want to do a B-horror movie kind of game that doesn't take itself too seriously, D&D 5e works great. I've run Ravenloft in that style before and it's great fun.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
Since PCs in D&D are supposed to be empowered, I find that horror works best as a sprinkling in and not the main attraction or for only short bits at a time. I'll include body horror elements into the descriptions of custom monsters, or have NPCs describe monster attacks as horror stories. But I don't try to go all the way to make the players feel helpless. At least not on purpose anyway...

Nebulous

Legend
This isn’t how to run a spooky game but how to do so with the D20 system itself.

I want to run a horror campaign, and I feel like D&D is my only Real option because finding players for any other system is Tough. And horror is a small genre so I need all the chances I can.

But I feel that D&D is a poor system for horror because characters are so powerful. Even 1st level PCs have a lot of strength on their side, with spells and damage that can put a hurt on what they’re dealing with. Part of horror is feeling like you are at incredible risk, that you don’t have much of a chance of survival, but characters are hard to kill, and I think I’d be. To kill someone to demonstrate that fighting is risky as hell. It is the difference between dropping Joe Schmo into a horror movie vs trained soldiers. And then there s magic. Undead are just no as scary if you have a cleric, etc.

Also some mechanics feel clunky. The grapple rules for instance.

Have you looked at Call of Cthulhu? It's probably the second most popular RPG out there, second only to D&D, and it handles horror pretty damn perfectly. It's not d20 but in many ways it is better than d20, especially when it comes to the skill system, which frankly, i think is botched in 5e.

Or were you looking specifically for d20 FANTASY horror? Shadow of the Demon Lord is a game of dark fantasy that might do that.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Have you looked at Call of Cthulhu? It's probably the second most popular RPG out there, second only to D&D, and it handles horror pretty damn perfectly. It's not d20 but in many ways it is better than d20, especially when it comes to the skill system, which frankly, i think is botched in 5e.

Or were you looking specifically for d20 FANTASY horror? Shadow of the Demon Lord is a game of dark fantasy that might do that.
Isn't Pathfinder 1E the second most popular?

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Hard to say exactly, but I think I saw on Roll20 statistics that Cthulhu was higher than Pathfinder as far as online games.
That makes sense to me, as far as game distribution.

I have found that games which are less played in person, especially more niche games, do much better on Roll20. D&D is the exception.

If you look at raw player numbers, I suspect that Pathfinder 1E was a bit higher.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases