D&D 5E How do you do the Shield Spell from a Scroll?

Athinar

Explorer
So I would say, if you had the scroll out you could use it with the Reaction

so during you action or move take the scroll out, you can cast a cantrip (Action) then in the "Reaction" use the scroll

A reaction is an instant response to a trigger of some kind, which can occur on your turn or on someone else’s.

You can also interact with one object or feature of the environment for free, during either your move or your
action.
Here are a few examples of the sorts of thing you can do in tandem with your movement and action:
Withdraw a potion from your backpack

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-september-2015

For you to meet a spell scroll’s requirement, the spell on the scroll needs to be on whatever spell list is used by your class. Here are two examples. If you’re a cleric, the spell must be on the cleric spell list, and if you’re a fighter with the Eldritch Knight archetype, the spell must be on the wizard spell list, because that is the spell list used by your class.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Someone in another thread mentioned that the scroll rules have received errata in a more recent printing of the Dungeon Master's Guide so that using a spell scroll is always the same type of action as casting the spell on it would normally be.
I had posted about the new DMG. Here is the section to which you are referring (from page 200 DMG)
Casting the spell by reading the scroll requires the spell's normal casting time. Once the spell is cast, the words on the scroll fade, and it crumbles to dust. If the casting is interrupted, the scroll is not lost
But taking the scroll out is a separate "interact with object"

Last edited:

Athinar

Explorer
I had posted about the new DMG. Here is the section to which you are referring (from page 200 DMG)

But taking the scroll out is a separate "interact with object"

So I would say, if you had the scroll out you could use it with the Reaction
so during you action or move take the scroll out, you can cast a cantrip (Action) then in the "Reaction" use the scroll

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
The Wizard can have a boat load of Shield Scrolls
Nowhere near the same size of boat as in prior versions of the game, considering:
A) Only if the group is using the optional rules for making magical items.
B) Only if the wizard is at least 3rd level
C) Only if the wizard has found the formula necessary to create a spell scroll
D) Only as many as the wizard can afford the 50 gp expense and 2 day writing time for each scroll, or has folks helping him to speed up the process.

Athinar

Explorer
Formula for crafting spells, never thought of that, with that said you will never find a Spell Scroll with a 9th level on it

I would think that a Wizard could make the formula with some time and Gp, it would be almost like creating a page in the Wizard Book

So does any one know the process to create Formulas?

I believe, the scroll is written in a way, that it can be cast easily, with a single word maybe...
it is not less believable than a shield spell being cast as a reaction without preparing for it.

Maybe you jsut have to scream aloud "shiiieeeeld" when you are hit. Maybe it is written in big letters on that scroll and that is all of it.

I never imagined scrolls being read in 6 seconds while also moving and dodging blows to be elaborate texts. The magic is already in it waiting to be released. A different case when the wizard tries to leanr a spell from a scroll. Then the wizard needs to carefully read it without triggering its magic... which may be a lot more difficult.

Radaceus

Adventurer
ready an action and use the scroll as a reaction.

Kind of defeats the purpose of being able to cast it as a reaction though, for magic missile per se, since you can never be certain when this would occur, which would put you in a constant state of ready an action.

But otherwise, I'd be wary of changing it to be cast as an action, since it requires a triggering effect ( attack)...an therefore would not be effective.

and of course there is always house ruling it~ to be able to be cast as an action, but be a readied action waiting an opponents attack as the trigger~ in which case I would default to reading it as a readied action.

Unwise

Adventurer
Because I like the imagery, for a divine based scroll, I'd allow the person to read/pray it, then attach it to their armor, like a Space Marine's or Warhammer Warrior Priest's Purity Seal. The shield would activate on the first remotely legitimate attack they face. It's not balanced, or RAW, just cool.

Remove ads