How Do You Enjoy D&D Away From the Table

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Rewatching the cartoon series
/QUOTE]

I always figured it would not have aged well.

I'll have to check it out. I even still have a couple of the original action figures I can use to play along with it!

My wife is going to be really proud about marrying me~. :^)

Mercule

Adventurer
I come here and chat about it.

I create rules "patches" for things players want to do that aren't covered in the books.

Most of all, I love creating settings, adventures, cultures, etc.

Tallifer

Hero
Drawing illustrations of our game for bonus XP.

Rosebush Mouth b&w.jpg

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Away-from-table enjoyment from RPGs for me:

• Discussing my hobby (forums, in-person, etc.)
  • World/setting creation (I've got lots of ideas, this is fun.)
  • DM prep
  • Character personality creation (often in the shower or on a drive. involves dialog.)
  • Character creation, mechanical (especially in systems with high levels of character customization like Champions)
  • RPG design (mechanical, but often tailored around supporting a unique setting)
  • Reading blogs (limited, only a few I follow)
  • Teaching my youngest daughter to paint minis. (she's already past me except I know a few more techniques)

Tallifer

Hero
My latest enjoyment of D&D away from the table:

Will o'wisp (pencil)
Game illustration for XP
(Ducking and weaving seemed the best course for the 1st level aspiring paladin Charleois)

Will o Wisp.jpg

Sadras

Legend
DM Prep - including reading the AP/Module being run.
Time on Enworld - learning and discussing the hobby.
Teaching my two new players.
Updating our Obsidian Portal site.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
by imagining every person I meet or even get a glimpse in my life of has a race, a class and a personality flaw.

My Boss: Half-Orc Barbarian who never thinks they are wrong and doesn't understand that they have changed their mind back and forth three times in the last conversation.

Embarrassing colleague: Human Commoner who thinks they are a Bard with 22 Charisma but only has 06 and also because they believe it, they obviously have no insight so low stats all round.

Mavis however....Now the. Mavis is the 57 year old domestic cleaner for our work area and she has a secret...I'm going with Changeling Great Old One Warlock, but I could be wrong.

This is more fun if you have a friend to compare notes with.

This.

The nurse with no bedside manner whatsoever is actually a fellow adventurer trying to infiltrate the office and steal something, and just happens to be the brute force of the group and is terrible at the subterfuge.

I too do these things to occupy myself in the numb reality away from the table.

[Other]

I sort music into separate playlists on my phone for different DMing purposes later; battle songs, eerie dungeons, and the like. Never know when you'll hear some randomized piece that will be just perfect for your next encounter with a Gothic Werewolf.

It always starts out designing another character - I've always loved the process of building new characters, but I play, as opposed to DM, so rarely that those characters typically just become the next villain for an adventure. So I build villains in my spare time who perhaps used to be good guys in another life...

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
My absolute favorite not-actually-gaming gaming activity is working on stuff for my campaign- adventures, spells, subclasses, lore, factions, npcs, etc. I also enjoy online discussions (e.g. ENWorld, Reddit, etc) and browsing in my FLGS.

Remove ads