How Do you Game? First Person or Third Person?

How do you usually roleplay your character in game?

• As a player, I speak in the First person, e.g. "I"

Votes: 116 85.9%
  • As a player, I speak in the Third person, e.g. "He (or she) says..."

Votes: 49 36.3%
  • As a GM, I speak in the First person, e.g. "I"

Votes: 61 45.2%
  • As a GM, I speak in the Third person, e.g. "He (or she) says..."

Votes: 107 79.3%

korjik

First Post
I use both as both. :)

As a player, mostly 1st person, and as a DM, mostly 3rd. Conversation is in 1st person unless it is just plot exposition. When doing exposition, I have to do it 3rd person and as fast as possible, otherwise my players will blow up the trestle as my train of thought passes over. :D

Celebrim

Legend
First person always a player. As a player, conversation is always in dialog.

As the GM, first person always unless it is necessary to distinguish one NPC from another. Conversation is always in dialog.

It may risk my dice, but as a DM, I will insist that you engage other NPC with dialog. Summaries of what you intend to say to an NPC are not allowed unless it is repetition of something already said. I can't respond to a summary of intent, because it requires that the PC and the NPC have the same frame of reference, which they usually do not. A summary of intent in a conversation is as meaningless as any other summary of intent like, "I go to the end of the dungeon." or "I find the BBEG." or "I obtain a +5 Holy Avenger." The question of "How?" cannot simply be dismissed.

This technique was taught to me. I was mentored. When I first started gaming and DMing I didn't use this techinique with my middle school chums. Nothing was done in 1st person. When I later had the oppurtunity to play with older players, I was taught to use 1st person, and after initial confusion, stuttering and embarassment when doing so, soon realized how superior the results were in terms of emersion and enjoyment. In particular, I quickly realized how much more entertaining the DM was being by playing out the NPCs in first person than I was, and emulated this technique in my own game to much the same success. Thereafter, I have often noticed that groups which play in a first person emersive stance not only have more fun, but do a better job of imagining and interacting with the shared environment than groups that simply direct their characters like playing peices. That is to say, skillful power-gamers and role-players both do this, albiet for different reasons.

Lastly, as a kid who was borderline autistic through elementary school and often paralyzed by shyness, RPing in the first person was one of the most educational aspects of RPGs and in some senses a literal lifesaver. Nothing has been more important to my ability to obtain not only a normal social life, but even the ability to lead small groups than switching to a first person style of DMing. Ultimately, I took the skill of RPing out into the 'real world' and roleplayed being some one who could carry on normal social conversations. In this case, the appearance of being able to do something is much the same thing as actually being able to do it. And, as I've later taught many players to RP, I've spread the skill that was taught to me, and had the oppurtunity to watch shy, unconfident, stuttering players blossum in to full-fledged roleplayers. As a DM, that's awesome sauce, and one of the things that makes it all worthwhile.

First person always a player. As a player, conversation is always in dialog.
Doesn't anyone play those annoying characters who speak in 3rd person? You can be in character and in 3rd person at the same time.

"Thog say break sniffling coward's kneecaps."
"Nimble William Dunn does not traffic in blood money."

Janx

Hero
I refer to my player in 3rd person, and not by name.

Such that I might say, "my player rolled a 3. I missed again with my sword."

-----
Just kidding. as a player, I refer to my PC in 1st person, because it is my avatar in the game. I play my FPS the same way.

As a GM, I mostly use third person, as I'm representing any number of NPCs, and need to indicate who is speaking.

As a note, some folks may be mis-stating 1st and 3rd person. The viewpoint mode doesn't impact quoted speech. It impacts the way actions are described (usually with the pronoun I, rather than naming the character).

Thus, as a DM, if I say:
"Janx says, 'You shall not pass!'"
"You shall not pass!"

Both effectively 3rd person, because it is a quote, and without naming the speaker, it is assumed to be the last character referenced or the response from the target of the previous quote.

Wheras, in declaring an action:
Janx draws his sword and rushes in (3rd person)
I draw my sword and rush in (1st person)

I have no clue what 2nd person is supposed to be.

Goblyn

Explorer
Similar to others, as a player it's always 1st person unless I'm playing more than one character. As DM, it's always 3d person.

Festivus

First Post
Usually in third person for both DMing and playing. It's a way to detach myself from the action of the game, which sometimes conflicts horribly with my own views.

First person as a player (unless playing a character that speaks in 3rd as a character trait.).

As DM first if there is only one speaker and there is no doubt as to who it is. In large gatherings with multiple NPC's I will use third so that the players know who is saying what.

Celebrim

Legend
I have no clue what 2nd person is supposed to be.

You feel a cold chill go down your back.
A sense of dread overcomes you.

It's pretty much a DM only perspective, when the DM needs to communicate a character's experience directly to the player. In general, it should be avoided except where absolutely necessary, for example, when communicating to the player that they have been charmed and no longer have full control over the character. I find second person is too liberally used in alot of descriptive text in published modules. IMO, the DM really shouldn't be deciding how the PC feels unless some magic is involved and a saving throw has been failed.

Remove ads