• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How do you handle randomly rolling for stats

It is easer to support such a character in a game with fewer players. When there's only one other character, getting spotlight is pretty easy, no matter your stats. When there's five other characters that are more powerful, it is harder for a weaker one to shine.
Believe me. This character in no way falls behind. He would have no problem in a bigger group, except maybe one with hardcore optimizers.

Rabbitbait

Grog-nerd
In AD&D I followed the recommended method. 3d6 in order before deciding what class you were eligible to be. I almost always rolled 18/00 for strength when I was thinking that I'd like to be a fighter though. Amazing coincidence.

I used to be point-buy-only, as it's the fairest option while still offering variety, although with new players I'd be tempted to do standard+ array (16 in the new high number) for everyone, just to reduce overhead and nip any silly minmaxing in the bud.

But I've been playing with rolling lately and it's mostly been fine, so if given the choice this week I think I'd roll and use that to determine which concept I want to play (some need a lot of good numbers, some barely need one.)

On the third hand, there are groups I play with where I would just et the players assign whatever numbers they think best reflects the idea they have in mind. I trust them to not abuse that; after seven years I know them pretty well.

Oofta

Legend
One other note on this is that there was also a point buy system for 3E that let you buy up to an 18. The default points granted is 27, but the "heroic" was 32. I don't think 18s to start are necessary for 5E but it is an option.

Just Google D&D 3 point buy, one site D&D Point Buy

I absolutely despise it. It works in short adventures when you don't risk having to play an incompetent buffoon for too long, but long campaigns? Heck no.

However, there's a variant I use if people request rolling when I act GM. I call it stat-max rolling. You roll a d6 to determine one particular stat that is now you max stat. Next step is to use point buy or array and arrange your ability scores as you please with the caveat that the stat that you initially rolled must be your highest stat or tied for highest.

Clint_L

Legend
Standard array, unless the players unanimously prefer otherwise. Then it's 4d6 drop 1.

Rolling, but having the option to use standard array AFTER you roll is going to inflate the average, as OP points out.

My big beef with rolling is that stat bonuses are particularly significant in 5e because of bounded accuracy, so rolling leads to inequity and often frustration, particularly among the young players that I work with a lot.

Clint_L

Legend
Point buy 27 or standard. Having big disparity in stats is real bummer and it hinders players if they had specific concept in mind.

When we did rolled, everyone at the table rolled one set, including DM. Out of 5 sets, we take best one and all players used it. It keeps power level even and everyone has same nubers to work with.
I like that last method, if it's going to be rolls.

ezo

I cast invisibility
Are you aware this very likely results in a significantly higher average than if the DM just stated "everybody starts with the default array, full stop."
It really isn't significantly higher... it is marginal really. The chances of wanting to replace the rolled scores with the 5E standard array is about 41%.

Rolling but allowing replacing with standard array helps in the long run by about 2 points higher, and has no impact overall on the the ability modifiers compared to roll 4d6, drop lowest, at the start.

Expected scores for rolling 4d6, drop lowest:
16, 14, 13, 12, 10, 9

Expected scores for rolling 4d6, replace bad array with standard array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8):
16, 15, 13, 12, 11, 9

So, the 14 becomes a 15 and the 10 becomes an 11. In both cases, the ability modifiers remain the same (+2 and +0).

If you want to offer an "inferior array", 14, 13, 12, 11, 9, 7 is the expected value for the arrays which would likely be replaced after rolling and bring the expected value of the entire system on par with just rolling 4d6, drop lowest.

The OP's suggested "inferior array" (15, 13, 12, 10, 8, 6) is just a bit over-punishing in terms of ability scores, but interestingly enough the ability modifiers with both "inferior arrays" would be the same.

Anyway, it's been fun. :)

Remove ads