• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you heal outside a fight?

DracoSuave

First Post

PH pg 295. Though it actually specifies "creatures" I would let PCs use the rule too, in some cases. Namely, if they were stabilized during combat by the Heal skill but had already used their Second Wind, and so remained unconscious.

The Player's Handbook said:
HEALING A DYING CHARACTER
- Regain Hit Points: When you are dying and receive
healing, you go to 0 hit points and then regain hit
points from the healing effect. If the healing effect
requires you to spend a healing surge but you have
none left, you are restored to 1 hit point.

Firstly, your Second Wind recharges from the short rest. So it is now an available action, even if you have no healing surges left.

Then, your friend does a Heal check with DC 10 to activate your Second Wind ability. While you're out of healing surges, it's still a healing effect used on you, so you get the benefit which brings you to 1 hit point, and fully conscious.

I suggest you leave the dungeon and go get yourself an extended rest.

Lurker37

Explorer
PH pg 295. Though it actually specifies "creatures" I would let PCs use the rule too, in some cases.

Look up Target on page 57.

Creature means allies, enemies, and the caster are all valid targets.

So, assuming this keyword operates in all rules, not just powers, the DM can use this rule to have PCs knocked unconscious, etc.

Last edited:

Ricochet

Explorer
Spending a healing surge requires an action, so if you're unconscious you're screwed. Your only hope is to roll a 20 on your save to avoid dying, or have a buddy who can use the Heal skill on you.

A priest could still cast a healing spell on them forcing them to spend a surge, right?

And by "using the heal skill on you", do you mean to spend that healing surge, or is there some rule about bringing characters back to 1hp through that skill?

On Puget Sound

First Post
If there is no time issue, I would just let them use encounter powers at will outside of combat. Sometimes you can't do that. "With each passing minute, you know the kidnappers are getting closer to the docks and their waiting ship. How much time do you want to spend resting?"

Zanderfax

First Post
Thanks for all the replies. DracoSauve, this was what I was looking for, since the Second Wind is available and it is a healing effect, it will work. As is the Heal skill does not provide a healing effect on it's own was how we were interpreting it based on the description.

Glad to know we have an option!!

Z

Firstly, your Second Wind recharges from the short rest. So it is now an available action, even if you have no healing surges left.

Then, your friend does a Heal check with DC 10 to activate your Second Wind ability. While you're out of healing surges, it's still a healing effect used on you, so you get the benefit which brings you to 1 hit point, and fully conscious.

I suggest you leave the dungeon and go get yourself an extended rest.

Oompa

First Post
My players take an rest after combat, use any powers that could heal and continue, they know the risk of running out of healing surges and they know that sometimes an 5 minute rest wont be an option (in the middle of an dungeon)..

Quick question from me, dont have the books here infront of me..

How much hp did an extended rest cure? All or an value?

In case anyone was wondering where the rule is that says you can still get healed to 1hp when someone uses the heal skill on you, you are dying and you have no healing surges left:

It's on PHB page 295 column 2 under "Healing a dying character": "If the healing effect requires you to spend a healing surge but you have none left, you are restored to 1 hit point."

DM_Blake

First Post
In my group, we assume that the warlord/cleric is applying Inspiring/Healing Word whenever someone uses a healing surge outside of combat. We don't bother keeping track of how many short rests are involved.

This is the kind of thing that I as a DM allow, but from time to time, I throw in a wringer to make sure the players know that their decisions sometimes have unforseen consequences.

Such as, I plan a fight and know that 8 minutes after this fight begins, another group of bad guys wanders by.

If the PCs fight, win, and take a short rest (using normal healing surges), they are fully ready for the wandering bad guys.

But if they fight, win, take a short rest, burn healing powers to enhance their healing surges, then begin a second short rest, they will be in the middle of that second rest when the new group of bad guys finds them.

This won't always catch them. Maybe they'll just do the single-rest approach. If so, I will let them know (when the second begins) that it's a good thing they weren't caught with their pants down by doing the double-rest trick.

No, I won't do this all the time. Not even most. Only once in a while, and only when it makes sense, like we're invading an occupied stronghold that verylikely has patrols, or other bad guys going about their daily business.

It's a nice trick the players can use. And they should use it. But they should also be aware of the danger inherent in sitting around in one place, with useful, even life-saving powers deliberately unavailable. They should weigh the benefits (extra healing) against the risks (less healing if they get a surprise encounter before they're ready) and act accordingly.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads