How do you like (or don't like) the Savage Worlds rpg?

I ran a D&D-like (not heroic fantasy, D&D-like) and a modern X-files-like game using Savage Worlds. I feel the X-files game was a success, but The D&D-like never felt like it was firing on all cylinders.

The difference I found was that the X-files game had fewer combats and more non-combat encounters. The Savage Worlds system is fine for the occasional quickly deadly combat, or the occasional PCs show how awesome they are through beating up mooks scene, but it is not engaging enough on its own for a D&D-like: this adventure is 8 combats strung together plus a non-combat encounter for flavour.

The non-combat encounters were fun and fast, so I consider the X-files games a success. BTW, I also have the Accursed sourcebook, and I absolutely love it as a sourcebook, despite the fact that I have never played it.

gibbsies

First Post
Getting to ties in hero is rare- Since dex and speed have to be equal before even going to dice.

I like some random - but noting that the fastest systems I've run have had popcorn initiative... Especially Sentinel Comics and Talisman Adventures, as well as two 2d20 flavors. I also have been using fixed slots but swappable ownership of them... 3 year zero engine games...

Stable and totally static aren't synonyms... Players making tactical decisions to swap cards due to different threats is a fun element of YZE games... but actually reshuffling and redealing them would be way too much hassle factor.

Likewise, D&D initiative is static - it doesn't change in any given fight without special situations (Held Actions and/or taking an action to reset it in more recent editions).

Any of those were faster than J's use of Savage Worlds - and the sessions I watched were him after several months running it. They were having fun... but it wasn't fast. And he was dealing face up. Not everyone can process multiple comparisons readily.

The one slowest for me is one I like conceptually, but hate in play: WEG Star Wars d6 1E... where everyone declares, then everyone rolls the actions simultaneously, then they're resolved in descending order of success rolls...

I do like several of the setting books... but just can't overcome the math issues (a very minor issue due to how open ending is handled), the every round card draws (especially since I like stable slots with tradable use as a GM), and the whiffyness of the combat rules... But I know a secret... the game is ratings compatible with Cortex Prime... ;)
I actually like WEG, but ran it differently, I have the 'free and clear phases' where everyone decides what they are doing, can roll like perception and knowledge skills, and then decide their plan, the enemy maybe reacting, letting the player change their plan, and then the 'shooting phase' where people just roll their dice and can't change their minds. I don't use the roll == timing, except on simultaneous actions: instead it's action vs. action, so drawing a gun and firing happens later than firing. I had a 'haste' action, that let you bring an action to zero cost.

This let the the action be like 'The stormtroopers rush out out and being firing at the protestors' ...
Player 1: "I will shoot a stormtrooper. " --
GM: "They will shoot back at you too, two will"
Player 1 "Then I will also dodge"
Player 2: "Since I am on the roof, do the troopers see me?"
GM: "Roll stealth"
Player 2: "14"
GM: "No"
Player 2: Then I will from my sniping position take out the three troopers, but the ones firing on the innocents, not player 1.

Action: The troopers rush out, (move action), Player 1, Player 2, take your first shot. Now the troopers fire. Player 2, take your other shots"

Remove ads