How do you like your HP to increase?

How do you prefer HP to increase with level?

• Roll a dice

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Gain a fixed amount

Votes: 43 50.6%
  • Roll a dice some levels, gain a fixed amount others

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Some combination of dice-rolling/fixed amount

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • Dissociate HP from level increase (including no HP gain)

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • I prefer lemons

Votes: 1 1.2%

Steely_Dan

First Post
I like the current 5th Ed system of roll, and it it's higher than the default, you take it (a fighter always gets at least 6 hp, but has a chance to get more).

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
I like the current 5th Ed system of roll, and it it's higher than the default, you take it (a fighter always gets at least 6 hp, but has a chance to get more).

Is that the correct interpretation of the rules? When it says 'd10 (or 6)' I thought it meant that you either roll the dice, or take 6, rather than roll the dice and pick between the result and 6. If you're right then really HP gain are d2+2, d3+3, d4+4, d5+5.

Steely_Dan

First Post
Is that the correct interpretation of the rules? When it says 'd10 (or 6)' I thought it meant that you either roll the dice, or take 6, rather than roll the dice and pick between the result and 6.

Ah, yeah, maybe I am interpreting it incorrectly, same with ability scores: roll, and take array/point buy if your rolls are lower than array/point buy.

dm3.5swva

First Post
This is a general poll. I'm interested in how you prefer hitpoints to increase as characters increase in level. I've laid out options from previous editions and tried to include other possible ideas that might be common. This is independent of whether Constitution plays a role in HP, of what HP you start out with and of the spread across classes.

Now with poll!

I'm going start with a question. If a player has low hit points and his level is a 8 does that mean he can take out a monster who can take him out with one full attack, or failed saving throw with the same Encounter Level? No that monster is now a least an EL 10. Hit Points don't effect the player they affect the DM. If the DM can't adjust the balance of the Encounter Level then the player has to be amplified. Weather it is more gold, specific items above his wealth per level, or new tactics. Examples, the wizards grand daughter was born today some lucky adventure will get an enhancement on an item 1/2 off. Level 8 fighter protects the the town on his new mount learned trample, mounted combat, +5 ride checks on new mount, ect. B/c a ranger used wild empathy and taught him something. A leadership feat comes in handy while a cohort hits him with a cure major wounds with 25 charges and equipped with a master-worked first-aid kit. We are so worried about stats and fast combat or crammed to much in or sessions that we make our games 1 dimensional!

Last edited:

S

Sunseeker

I'm not sure I understand. Having a d10 rather than d6 is special because you might get 7,8,9 or 10? I see that, but there's also an annoying possibility that you'll get less than the d6 guy, in fact, your added potential means reduced reliability to perform your role (of getting hit more because you have more hp). I think having the same variability with different ranges is a reasonable tradeoff.
Since I generally allow +con mod, regardless of if the edition/system calls for it, this basically makes up for giving people that fixed amount of HP. Fighter-types who are concerned about having high health invest in con, giving them +3 to +5 on every level of HD.

They seem to be sticking to adding Con to HP too, which really does make a lower HD not much of a disadvantage. If classes supposed to have more HP had more reliably, then Con would be less overpowering.

Personally, if they're going to use a single die for each class, I vote for the D6. Why?
1: it's one of the most common dice EVER, you're rarely going to find a person, new or old to D&D who won't know what a six-sided die is. Not to mention, they won't have to buy or borrow dice to get started, chances are they have a D6 from playing poker, yahtzee, or some other game.
2: It's easy to roll(the d4, d8, and d10 often roll poorly).
3: it's a good median between the low-HP classes which traditionally use D4's and the high-HP classes which use D10's or D12's.

Remove ads