How do you overcome the "improvise a character name" problem?

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
Every GM has been there. We've improvised a character, given them a colorful description, and even adopted a slightly-different vaguely-British accent for the occasion. The RP is flowing naturally, and everyone seems invested in the fiction. Then a player asks the dreaded question.

"What's your name, friend?"

Cold panic sets in. The mind goes blank. In that horrid moment, all you can think is, "Don't say 'Bob.' Don't say 'Bob.'"

So how do you personally combat this problem? Do you always have a tab open to a name generator? Do you brainstorm names ahead of time and add 'em to improvised NPCs at need? Or is there some trick to getting good at improvising appropriate names?

(Comic for illustrative purposes.)

MGibster

Legend
Prep a list of names and have it handy. Mark them off as you use them and note which NPC it belongs to now. When you get about 1/4 of the way through the list, clear the used ones and generate more at the end.
When I'm thinking ahead, this is what I do. I still get caught offguard at times, and I usually come up with a pretty mundane name for what would normally be no-name NPCs.

aramis erak

Legend
Every GM has been there. We've improvised a character, given them a colorful description, and even adopted a slightly-different vaguely-British accent for the occasion. The RP is flowing naturally, and everyone seems invested in the fiction. Then a player asks the dreaded question.

"What's your name, friend?"

Cold panic sets in. The mind goes blank. In that horrid moment, all you can think is, "Don't say 'Bob.' Don't say 'Bob.'"

So how do you personally combat this problem? Do you always have a tab open to a name generator? Do you brainstorm names ahead of time and add 'em to improvised NPCs at need? Or is there some trick to getting good at improvising appropriate names?

(Comic for illustrative purposes.)
For Pendragon, Tolkien, and L5R, I've got lists of names by culture and gender, and use a python script to randomize them. Am doing setup for T2K list as well.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Robert = Robard = Rebor = Robarth = Rob = Bobarth = Bobard = Bobo = Trebor = Terbor = Trobart = Torbert = Trobard = Trob - Bort - Boret - Borat - Dorbet - Dored - Drobard etc etc

but yeah, never had an issue with thinking of names. Otherwise just read lots of baby name list from different countries eg Ghanaian babynames

Last edited:

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Another technique I use is to just start off with a syllable. You can relate it to the job, theme, or description of the NPC. Then add in one or two more nonsense syllables. Like this...

"The smithy introduces himself as..."

(Hm, smithy, anvil, an...)

"Anton."

Or Anwar, Anson, Anders, Androven, Anorus, etc.

Remove ads