How do you overcome the "improvise a character name" problem?

I'm not good at improvising names, so I go to some effort to pick names in advance for everyone I can foresee the players talking to. Kate Monk's Onomastikon is very useful for picking culturally appropriate names.

I do that as well sometimes, using the example names in the PHB.

I use the GRRM method of combining two common names.

Thomas + Ryan = Tymas
Paul + John = Palun
Samantha + Lauren = Laurantha

Etc

I think the secret to coming up with names on the fly is knowing the world. For my homebrew, I knew that most names use double-vowels. So if I need a random name, it's easy enough to just think of Daav, Taalor, Ariin, etc. For the Theros campaign I'm currently running, it's easy enough to find a list of ancient Greek names and pull one from there.

Every GM has been there. We've improvised a character, given them a colorful description, and even adopted a slightly-different vaguely-British accent for the occasion. The RP is flowing naturally, and everyone seems invested in the fiction. Then a player asks the dreaded question.

"What's your name, friend?"

Cold panic sets in. The mind goes blank. In that horrid moment, all you can think is, "Don't say 'Bob.' Don't say 'Bob.'"

So how do you personally combat this problem? Do you always have a tab open to a name generator? Do you brainstorm names ahead of time and add 'em to improvised NPCs at need? Or is there some trick to getting good at improvising appropriate names?

(Comic for illustrative purposes.)

This has gotten a lot easier for me the longer I have GM'd but one tool that always helps me is to have a standard list of names for all the languages, places, etc in my setting, along with common titles. Usually naming conventions vary by region in the settings I make but just as an example if there is a place where surname and personal name are standard, having a list of about 20 surnames and 20 personal names is pretty helpful. One thing I've generally moved away from is the idea in fantasy that each name ought to be unique. You can have unique names but you don't have to, its more common for names to be standard or have some kind of logic underpinning them. That actually works out better because the naming conventions don't sound random to players, it ends up being easier for them to make characters that way.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Living in different countries and reading a lot of fiction helps me come up with names. My problem is taking notes while DMing and remembering the names I come up with on the fly.

In my homebrew world, different cultures have different naming conventions and, for some of them, it is helpful to have a number of pregenerated names to pick from. For kitchen sink WotC and third-party settings, I don't overthink it.

Stormonu

Legend
Making names isn't the problem for me, remembering them is.

As for sources, I've pored over baby name books and hit a few themed name generators in the past (German names, Roman names, etc.). Overall, I've got a pretty good list in my head to draw from.

For names of supernatural beings I dumped a bunch of names from fantasy literature, religion, and demonology into a markov chain generator to generate appropriate sounding new names. The same basic technique also works for planet names and pharmaceuticals.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
I use a generator on fantasynamegenerators.com that's appropriate for the character. I generate a list of names and roll a d10.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases