D&D 5E How Do You Plan to Play Your Bard?

Syntallah

First Post
As an homage to the First Edition Bard:

Beirghus Sionn, Dwarven Battle Piper of the 501st Mountain Regiment, retired

Fighter 1, Rogue 1, Bard 1

With a heavy crossbow and alot of cussing and shouted orders from the Party's rear echelon. Oh, and bagpipes, loud & proud bagpipes...

Sadrik

First Post
I had a first edition bard in high school. He called himself the storm bard. He had Wave the intelligent trident from white plume mountain and a helm of underwater action. He was a gatherer of knowledge is how I played him not a performer per say but more a historian journalist for his college. He had many stories from his journeys. He used call lightning and mostly just stealthed around and attacked with his trident in actual play. This is what I think I will play when I play a bard, likely a sage or sailor background. Probably will just carry the spell component pouch rather than an actual instrument.

Any suggestions on how to build that character?

Jack7

First Post
A HOARD DID I ENCOUNTER

@Jack7: What song will you compose for when you need someone to stealth well? :)

Steal well, or well-stolen? Either way I'll probably use something like this - on Lyre.

A HOARD DID I ENCOUNTER

My gentle lords and ladies fill now up your cups
I’ll sing to you of ransom even as you sup
Far away in foreign lands I chanced upon a hoard
It was buried in the Earth full of rich reward

A cairn did I encounter, eat up now be free!
I’ll tell you of the horror I alone did see
A dreadful restless spirit lingered hard nearby
I sought a way around it, no pathway could I find

I sat upon the cold earth pondering my fate
Sleep descended on me even as I ate
Tired I grew unnaturally, close the air did seem
Songs did fill the moonless night, the spirit so did sing

Fatigue did overtake me as the spirit sang
I realized only all too late the spirit’s trap had sprang
I was at her mercy; her cold touch fell on me
To all I was oblivious with no hope to flee

I do not know how I escaped, why she spared me so
She let me keep my breath and life, I was free to go
Yet her touch had spoiled me, all my goods were gone
I awoke with nothing at the coming of the dawn

As you drink and fête yourself now you know my lot
For you are all exhausted but I am fresh and hot

There are hoards of treasure, many things of gold
Some are far way you see and some are close I’m told

My gentle lord and ladies fill now up your dreams
Do not worry for yourselves while this song I sing
Yet, my performance now is ended, I’ve made my last appeal
As you dwell in slumber then away to home I’ll steal…

Jack7

First Post
I had a first edition bard in high school. He called himself the storm bard. He had Wave the intelligent trident from white plume mountain and a helm of underwater action. He was a gatherer of knowledge is how I played him not a performer per say but more a historian journalist for his college. He had many stories from his journeys. He used call lightning and mostly just stealthed around and attacked with his trident in actual play. This is what I think I will play when I play a bard, likely a sage or sailor background. Probably will just carry the spell component pouch rather than an actual instrument.

Any suggestions on how to build that character?

Not really, other than what you already said, but I already like, "The Storm Bard."

Tormyr

Adventurer
Steal well, or well-stolen? Either way I'll probably use something like this - on Lyre.

A HOARD DID I ENCOUNTER

My gentle lords and ladies fill now up your cups
I’ll sing to you of ransom even as you sup
Far away in foreign lands I chanced upon a hoard
It was buried in the Earth full of rich reward
*snip*
That was awesome, but I meant stealth not steal. Stealth is one of the few songs I don't think Elan from the Order of the stick does not have (Haley cut him short if I recall correctly). Just in case you ever need some inspiration for a song, check the short songs in this list: :p
http://oots.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Elan's_Songs

Jack7

First Post
You know, now that you mention it, it wouldn't hurt at all to have a list of songs, poems, glams and curses, blessings, aphorisms, short verses, stories, and poetic phrases for various types of Bardic situations.

You could also have a few basic musical chords and phrases you could rearrange ad hoc as needed.

Yes, that's a pretty good concept Tormyr.

Traveller LIFT OFF

I’d quite like the idea of playing a Bard that is a bit of an agitator. Spreading subversive messages against an evil King for example, and being a bit of a folk hero about it.

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
My bard is a female human (non variant) with fiery red locks. Here's the picture I use for her:

I call her The Red Pirate Roberta, real name being Roberta Hargraves.

She stowed away on a ship when she was young to get away from abusive parents. The captain of the ship decided not to throw her overboard or let his men have her and instead raised her as a daughter. When he died, he left the ship to her. Unfortunately the crew disagreed and she only narrowly escaped with her life. She now seeks a crew and a ship through inspiring courage and bravery and, when it suits her, foolhardiness.

Last edited:

A buddy of mine wants to play a bard.

A lightfoot Halfling named Gordon. He would fight with a singing short sword named Sting and a hand axe named Molly.

As a Lore college bard he would, acquire the find familiar spell and get a cat, name Steven.

He would concentrate on the elemental magics of earth wind & fire. :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases