D&D 5E How Do You Plan to Play Your Bard?

Jack7

First Post
WORD-HORDE

This may be a little academic but I've always thought that the term Word-Hoard applied directly to Medieval Bards and Skalds and Poets and Writers (as well as to modern Poets and Writers and Bards).

I always thought a poet's Word-Hoard was one of his greatest possessions. But last night I discovered that it was not only a man's Word Hoard but his Word-Horde.

And that brought up in my mind all kinds of metaphorical implications, both for Real World wordsmiths and for Bardic gaming characters.

THE WORD-HORDE

aarduini

Explorer
My Bard is a Half-Elven Knight and has three retainers that act as back up singers. He goes around to taverns of all size and scale and sings for the pure pleasure of the performance. He hails from a noble house. He is the great grandson of Sir Elorfindar Floshin from the House of Long Silence. He and his entourage are known as Ellindar and the three sprites. The sprites are His Herald and squire (Female human named Elisandra), his armorer and animal handler (Dwarf female named Yulda) and his Groom and accountant (Gnome female named Nissa).

Despite his flamboyant and carefree attitude, Ellindar is a formidable front line warrior and mounted combatant, and he will fight evil and ugliness whenever he finds it. He is also a powerful spellcaster and has been known to surprise his foes with spells while in the midst of melee combat.

Ellindar The Knight of Song

College of Valor Bard (Str & Cha)
Feats: War Caster, Heavy Armor Prof, Mounted Combatant
key spells: Find Steed (Got to have the Paladin mount), Paladin smite spells, Eldritch Blast

After 14th level he goes 3 levels of warlock (Fey pact of course) for the invocations Agonizing Blast and Lifedrinker

Here is the model I purchased to paint

Ellindar.jpg

Scripture

First Post
A buddy of mine wants to play a bard.

A lightfoot Halfling named Gordon. He would fight with a singing short sword named Sting and a hand axe named Molly.

As a Lore college bard he would, acquire the find familiar spell and get a cat, name Steven.

He would concentrate on the elemental magics of earth wind & fire. :p
When it looks like a "party wipe" is that his cue to sing "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald?"

Jack7

First Post
My Bard is a Half-Elven Knight and has three retainers that act as back up singers...

Ellindar The Knight of Song

I like three things here - the fact that he is Half-Elven (if you ask me probably the best race for a Bard), the fact that he is a Knight and called "The Knight of Song," and the fact that he has retainers to act as assistants and performers.

That is an excellent idea.

Scripture

First Post
I like three things here - the fact that he is Half-Elven (if you ask me probably the best race for a Bard), the fact that he is a Knight and called "The Knight of Song," and the fact that he has retainers to act as assistants and performers.

That is an excellent idea.
I went Elf, so I could use the standard array for 8, 16, 12, 14, 10, 15. The high Dex helps with everything. And it's not for sacrificing Cha.

For human (+1 across the board), I used the point buy: 16, 16, 14, 10, 10, 10

Last edited:

Remove ads