How do you read these parts of the rules

Arbanax

First Post
Ok been reading through the documents ready to play test on Monday. I'm reserving judgement on things until I've actually played things out, but trying hard to make sure I am following rules/guidelines as laid down.

So would like you're understanding regarding the following:

1. Ok so can I take it that with magical attacks, if it doesn't specify an attack amount i.e. burning hands, then one can assume that its an automatic hit, to anything in range unless they make a dodge - right or wrong?

2. Saving throws, do not seem to cost any time, so with burning hands everyone can dodge, or with Sleep everyone could try to save, but it doesn't seem to take from a future action. In effect giving you a free response - correct or not?

3. Spell components, It states that you need the component if you want to cast the spell. Is it assumed that a wizard has this to cast the spells listed, how much do they have (so for instance they cast Continual light use up the ruby dust component - but want to enchant another object the following day) - are you hand waving the material components or getting the wizards etc, to go back and buy more?

4. Clearly the adventure as presented assumes that the party get to the dungeon pretty fast, how do you plan to make sure everyone has got what they want, if they havent and go back, are you planning to let them by what they need at the prices listed at the nearest town/village etc?

5. How much money do they have, just a cursary glance at the Wizards sheet, tells me there is no money listed, so buying stuff before hand would appear to be out. How are you handling this, I can see the need for a healers kit for instance pretty soon after the first combat?

Ok I think that is most of my questions for the moment, just would appreciate some collective wisdom, insight and what not.

Thanks

Ab

1of3

Explorer
1. Correct.

2. Correct, too. That's an interesting remark btw. Most longterm D&D players probably wouldn't think about it. But that might be confusing for newcomers.

3 - 4. For speeding up the game, you could let them start with some money, the list and let them buy retro-actively: They had it in the backpack all along.

5. No idea. Assuming you take the hook presented in the beginning with villagers asking the group to stop the cultists, the village would probably provide reasonable equipment.

Tazawa

Adventurer
1. Correct.
2. Correct.
3. Components are hand movements, speaking, and sometimes material components. Wizards need to buy the material components and use them every time they cast a spell that needs them.
4. Part of the playtest is how the characters perform with the equipment given them at the start. That said some of the characters have a few gold coins.
5. The cleric of Pelor has a healer's kit. If the characters need more gear, they'll have to defeat some monsters and find treasure.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Tazawa said:
Wizards need to buy the material components and use them every time they cast a spell that needs them.

To expand on this, check the "ritual component pouch" entry under Equipment. It specifically lets you put GP in and take GP out. ;)

And, yeah, if they want something specific, they gotta find some gold, go back to town, and buy it. ;)

DogBackward

First Post
And, yeah, if they want something specific, they gotta find some gold, go back to town, and buy it. ;)
That said, don't forget that unless it's listed in the Requirements section, it's not something you have to keep track of. Hold Person, for example, mentions a straight piece of iron in the description, but it has no such Requirement. So you can either handwave the iron, or just assume that the Cleric already has some on him.

Arbanax

First Post
As every thanks everyone for the timely and wise advice or suggestions/clarifications. Just great to make sure I've not missed something obvious.

Thanks for taking the time to read and even more so to comment.

Ab

MortalPlague

Adventurer
5. How much money do they have, just a cursary glance at the Wizards sheet, tells me there is no money listed, so buying stuff before hand would appear to be out. How are you handling this, I can see the need for a healers kit for instance pretty soon after the first combat?

When I ran this for the first time, I went around the table and asked how much money each character started with. I had already decided to start the PCs in a small town, so that they could roleplay a little bit, and get used to each other. The first person to reply was the dwarf cleric, who had ten gold. I was a little surprised; I thought the economy was going to silver? And then as we went around the table, we realized quite quickly that nobody else had any money.

I guess the 10 gp is a bonus for being a knight?

Either way, we didn't want to change things up, so the dwarf cleric footed the bill for the few minor purchases (alcohol, mostly), then the group went out and battled in the caves.

Their first trip back to town found them buying some gear. I wound up giving them a healer's kit, since we didn't have the human cleric and I wanted to see the short rest in action.

That said, don't forget that unless it's listed in the Requirements section, it's not something you have to keep track of. Hold Person, for example, mentions a straight piece of iron in the description, but it has no such Requirement. So you can either handwave the iron, or just assume that the Cleric already has some on him.
Warhammer or mace... straight enough... ;)

Thanks for starting this thread, btw.

If more people would ask if they understood something correctly or just flat out don´t understand a rules element before ranting, maybe this would all in all a more fun place to be.

Last edited:

Remove ads