How Do You Reduce Your Collection?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
How hard/easy it is to get into attic storage may also be a factor between keeping handy and putting away.

Not to rock the boat, but there are too many things I got rid of during or after moves in the past that I find myself going to look for in my collection and am disappointed to remember is gone, so I am hesitant to get rid of stuff now. Sometimes I can buy a new copy but for the older stuff replacing it is too costly (and I am not into PDFs). In other words, you wife is right and tread carefully when getting rid of stuff.

Last edited:

Some stuff, yeah, it's never going to be missed. Sometimes it's okay to say "I liked this at the time, but I don't anymore." I had so much 3e and 4e stuff and the vast majority of it I don't miss one bit.

Nostalgia on the other hand, is something I fall prey too quite easily. If it hadn't fallen apart, I probably would still be holding onto my first dice bag as a memento.

I got so close to re-buying a couple 3.5 books last year. So glad I didn't as after the year long slog of running a 3.5 hexcrawl, I was asked myself why I didn't just use Pathfinder 1e. I feel I finally killed the idea that 3.5 had specific things I preferred over Pathfinder. It doesn't. My love for the game was purely aesthetic or sense-memory related. And while that can be valid if that aesthetic inspires me as the GM, I've now been able to lay that to rest.

The only Nostalgia books I am going to keep are my Bubblegum Crisis books as that was the first game system I ever ran properly. Most games before that living in the childhood realm of "Chuck dice, pretend to reference book, make something up." I had been doing before.

Though I can say that I probably have only reacquired about 5% of the stuff I've sold over the years, the cost to do so has probably equaled the amount I got from selling everything in the first place. But really, I always knew it was about freeing up space (for more RPGs) than the money. Not that the money and store credit wasn't nice at the time...

Not to rock the boat, but there are too many things I got rid of during or after moves in the past that I find myself going to look for in my collection and am disappointed to remember is gone, so I am hesitant to get rid of stuff now. Sometimes I can buy a new copy but for the older stuff replacing it is too costly (and I am not into PDFs). In other words, you wife is right and tread carefully when getting rid of stuff.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Last year I gave away 95% of my collection. I just wasn't using it, and it was taking up space. So I gave it to someone I knew could appreciate all those old books and games. Yeah, it was hard, and I had nostalgia, but it was just sitting there

darjr

I crit!
Either play using them until fall appart.

Or take them to Gary Con and donate them to either the library or charity auction.

Remove ads