D&D 5E How do you rule on NPC-to-PC social interactions?

Please check all that you agree with (you can agree with more than one)

• An NPC can appear to a PC as someone they are not, with a CHA (Deception) check

Votes: 35 63.6%
  • An NPC can appear to a PC as someone they are not, with a CHA (Performance) check

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • An NPC can give a PC misinformation, with a CHA (Deception) check

Votes: 36 65.5%
  • An NPC can avoid giving a PC any clue that information is false, with a CHA (Deception) check

Votes: 37 67.3%
  • An NPC can pry information from a PC, with a CHA (Intimidation) check

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • An NPC can know if a PC is sincere in a promise, with a WIS (Insight) check

Votes: 38 69.1%
  • An NPC can leave a PC in no doubt of their ability to harm that PC, with a CHA (Intimidation) check

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • An NPC can distract a PC so that something goes unnoticed, with a CHA (Deception) check

Votes: 35 63.6%
  • An NPC can distract a PC so that something goes unnoticed, with a CHA (Performance) check

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • An NPC can leave a PC in no doubt about their fine performance, with a CHA (Performance) check

Votes: 34 61.8%
  • An NPC can leave a PC in no doubt about their fine art, with a CHA (Painter's supplies) check

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • An NPC can leave a PC in no doubt about their fine art, with an INT (Painter's supplies) check

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • None of the above could happen in my D&D games

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • In the past, none of the above could happen in my D&D games, but that might change

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Other (I will explain in thread)

Votes: 10 18.2%

clearstream

(He, Him)
In another thread we discussed the possibility of symmetry in NPC-to-PC social interactions. Symmetry in that context, means that a PC or NPC can make an ability check to influence a PC or NPC. That debate was highly legalistic. However, there were a few cases where disagreements seemed much less vehement. I am curious about those cases, because they may reveal an opportunity to enhance immersion-in-world through improved (but by no means complete) symmetry between player-characters and other characters.

Disregarding RAW and RAI completely for the purposes of this thread, how do you run NPC-to-PC social interactions in respect of just the cases presented in this poll? As you can see, I am hoping we can reveal our "normal" in these cases. Just to set aside fears, there is no slippery-slope entertained here: the cases are as you see them, and any commitments in their regard are not assumed to be commitments to anything further. This is all for 5th edition, in case of doubt.

aco175

Legend
A lot are presented as the NPC doing something and rolling. I have the PC roll to notice what the NPC is doing. So, if a NPC was trying to distract a PC I would have the PC make an insight or perception check instead of the NPC making a deception check. Makes my job harder to roleplay since I am trying to bluff the player, but puts the success into the player's PC with them being rewarded for having a high insight or such. There may be opposing roles if needed.

An NPC can of course attempt to do all those things... but it's the PC who rolls an insight, perception or investigation check (or something else if applicable).

What to roll depends (1) on what the NPC tries to accomplish, (2) on on how the PC approaches the challenge and (3) how much the DM wants to give away about why the player is rolling.

I never roll social interactions against my players and then force them to roleplay in a certain way.

S'mon

Legend
In another thread we discussed the possibility of symmetry in NPC-to-PC social interactions. Symmetry in that context, means that a PC or NPC can make an ability check to influence a PC or NPC. That debate was highly legalistic. However, there were a few cases where disagreements seemed much less vehement. I am curious about those cases, because they may reveal an opportunity to enhance immersion-in-world through improved (but by no means complete) symmetry between player-characters and other characters.

Disregarding RAW and RAI completely for the purposes of this thread, how do you run NPC-to-PC social interactions in respect of just the cases presented in this poll? As you can see, I am hoping we can reveal our "normal" in these cases. Just to set aside fears, there is no slippery-slope entertained here: the cases are as you see them, and any commitments in their regard are not assumed to be commitments to anything further. This is all for 5th edition, in case of doubt.

Voted yes to everything except:

An NPC can give a PC misinformation, with a CHA (Deception) check - an NPC can always give misinformation, no check required.​

An NPC can pry information from a PC, with a CHA (Intimidation) check - no, the NPC can intimidate the PC, but the PC's reaction is up to them, barring Suggestion-level mind control. Some PCs might rather die than give up vital info.​

HammerMan

Legend
I checked all of them because they are all possible, but like I said in other thread(s) corner cases... 99% of the time if I have an NPC artisit I am not going to roll, i am going to describe. The dice rolls work best in my games when I do not have an encounter planned, and am 'winging it'

so if the PCs out of no where ask to find an artist, and I need to tell them about 3 pieces they have on display, since I didn't have the NPC named and ready, I might just make up some basic idea's and roll to see how well they turned out.

however if part of my plot is an artist is the lover of the queen and one of the suspects in the princes murder, I most likely have pre done some work and made up art piece ideas without rolling. (sometimes the art or the name of the art might even be a thematic clue out of game if the PCs pay close attention)

HammerMan

Legend
I never roll social interactions against my players and then force them to roleplay in a certain way.
I see this alot about forcing players. I wonder if you can answer me, why would anything you do force anything (not withstanding domination/charm magic or the like) and do your players not on there own roleplay out based on the information you give them?

I am not trying to start a fight. I just don't understand why it seems to come up that people think that others (or fear they themselves would if X happens) force players to do anything...

also I must ask, since my players go crazy off my prep all the time (most of the time but not always by accident) can anyone tell me a way to force them BACK to my planed areas?

Vaalingrade

Legend
I prefer the PC end of them rolling insight, perception, etc. I feel like even if every NPC rolls a quite of 'identifier rolls', the PCs will get paranoid.

Gilladian

Adventurer
My take is that NPCs can do anything a PC can do, but the PC is in control of their response. So an NPCcan deceive a character, with or without a roll depending on situation, but the PCs response to that possibility is theirs to play out.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Yes to all except forcing the PC to give out information.

However, it is worth noting that most of these would be opposed checks, so t5he PC will be rolling against the NPC justr as the NPC is rolling a check against the PC.

I checked them all (except intimidate) but what Cap'n Kobold said applies. There is an opposed roll if the players wants it, otherwise if an NPC lies they just lie, no roll required. If an NPC they don't know is pretending to be another NPC they don't know then also no roll unless the PCs get suspicious somehow, etc. .

Remove ads