D&D 5E How do you rule on NPC-to-PC social interactions?

Please check all that you agree with (you can agree with more than one)

• An NPC can appear to a PC as someone they are not, with a CHA (Deception) check

Votes: 35 63.6%
  • An NPC can appear to a PC as someone they are not, with a CHA (Performance) check

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • An NPC can give a PC misinformation, with a CHA (Deception) check

Votes: 36 65.5%
  • An NPC can avoid giving a PC any clue that information is false, with a CHA (Deception) check

Votes: 37 67.3%
  • An NPC can pry information from a PC, with a CHA (Intimidation) check

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • An NPC can know if a PC is sincere in a promise, with a WIS (Insight) check

Votes: 38 69.1%
  • An NPC can leave a PC in no doubt of their ability to harm that PC, with a CHA (Intimidation) check

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • An NPC can distract a PC so that something goes unnoticed, with a CHA (Deception) check

Votes: 35 63.6%
  • An NPC can distract a PC so that something goes unnoticed, with a CHA (Performance) check

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • An NPC can leave a PC in no doubt about their fine performance, with a CHA (Performance) check

Votes: 34 61.8%
  • An NPC can leave a PC in no doubt about their fine art, with a CHA (Painter's supplies) check

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • An NPC can leave a PC in no doubt about their fine art, with an INT (Painter's supplies) check

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • None of the above could happen in my D&D games

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • In the past, none of the above could happen in my D&D games, but that might change

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Other (I will explain in thread)

Votes: 10 18.2%

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It's a bit fuzzier than that, however, in that the DM narrating the results bleeds right into (or is) the DM describing the environment as changed by whatever the PCs just did or tried to do, which closes the loop.
It's a loop! So his narration bleeds into the next environmental description, which then proceeds to player declarations and then adjudication/narration again, and over and over....................because loop. ;)

MGibster

Legend
I ran an Acquisitions, Inc. campaign where a Beholder named Mr. Thrakozog disguised himself as a mild mannered human by wearing a trench coat, a fedora, and a fake mustache and hired the group to recover some artifacts for him. Most of the NPCs saw right through his disguise but played along because, well, when a Beholder wants to pretend to to be a human you just play along. The monk was the only PC who failed to see through the disguise and I would just describe Mr. Thrakazog as a rather rotund man who stared at others with a great amount of intensity. Granted, this was a rather silly campaign.

Voadam

Legend
I ran an Acquisitions, Inc. campaign where a Beholder named Mr. Thrakozog disguised himself as a mild mannered human by wearing a trench coat, a fedora, and a fake mustache and hired the group to recover some artifacts for him. Most of the NPCs saw right through his disguise but played along because, well, when a Beholder wants to pretend to to be a human you just play along. The monk was the only PC who failed to see through the disguise and I would just describe Mr. Thrakazog as a rather rotund man who stared at others with a great amount of intensity. Granted, this was a rather silly campaign.
Did he have a paladin nemesis in blue armor?

The Tick: "I've had enough chasing; it's your turn now, forest-smog!"
Thrakazog: "Thrakazog! Thrakazog! With a 'K'! Boy, are you ever rude."
The Tick: "No brains today; we're only serving humble-pie, Whatchamazog!"
Thrakazog: "Listen buddy, for the last time it's..."
The Tick: "Four ax in a bog?"
Thrakazog: "Thrakkorzog!"
The Tick: "Ah, laxitive-log!"
Thrakazog: "No no no!"
The Tick: "Lap lands a zog?"
Thrakazog: "No!"
The Tick: "Two laplanders and a dog?"
Thrakazog: "Thrak!"
The Tick: "Sapsuckafrog!"
Thrakazog: "No no no!"
The Tick: "...Susan?"
Thrakazog: "Oh, now you're doing it on purpose; how juvenile!"

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
The designers are more definite on Deception and Performance. Go ahead and do this, they say. Frank assertion: this is what your check does.

On Intimidation and Persuation, they hedge. You might do this, they say. There's an implication that there are many circumstances where you will decide not to.

That view is buttressed by comments by the designers about these rules elsewhere, such as Sage Advice.
There is no "go ahead and do this" in the descriptions of Deception or Performance, just a statement of what such a check determines. Now if you were pointing to Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Investigation (sort of), or Animal Handling (also sort of but only in the case of attempting to control a mount through a risky maneuver) you might be on to something.

clearstream

(He, Him)
There is no "go ahead and do this" in the descriptions of Deception or Performance, just a statement of what such a check determines. Now if you were pointing to Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Investigation (sort of), or Animal Handling (also sort of but only in the case of attempting to control a mount through a risky maneuver) you might be on to something.
Can I take it you would concede that the skill texts contain some different words. And that as to the first line, thinking of the words only Deception and Performance are similar, and Intimidation and Persuasion are similar?

To your reading any dissimilarity between those pairs is empty of meaning, but the wordings of some other skills do hint more of what I phrased as, go ahead and use them. Right?

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Can I take it you would concede that the skill texts contain some different words. And that as to the first line, thinking of the words only Deception and Performance are similar, and Intimidation and Persuasion are similar?
Yes, I think I have agreed that this is true.

To your reading any dissimilarity between those pairs is empty of meaning, but the wordings of some other skills do hint more of what I phrased as, go ahead and use them. Right?
Yes, specifically Sleight of Hand and Stealth as I stated in my previous post.

Remove ads