• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you strip a miniature?

Tom Cashel

First Post
Well, it's finally happened. I screwed up the Ghoul King one too many times, and decided that the details were getting lost under all that paint (hint: no matter how much you want your zombie to appear splattered with blood, spattering red paint on the mini will only ruin it).

One full night in paint thinner: no effect.

Another night in gum turpentine: no effect without toothbrush scrubbing, and even this only works a little.

Right now it's soaking in Goo Gone.

I thought I'd heard gasoline at some point, but I think I'll buy a new mini before I leave a tin of gasoline sitting in or outside my house overnight.

What do I do?

If it matters, I'm using Games Workshop Citadel acrylic paints.

Fargoth

First Post
You paint a toothpick brass colored, set it upright in front of the miniature, and then play some sexy music. <grin>

Sorry folks ... I just couldn't resist that.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled message thread.

Drachenherz

First Post
Best paint stripper

Try to get some 3M Safest Strip. This is a semi-paste stripper with the consistency of a lotion. Apply with a toothbrush, place on a paper plate, and cover. Wait @ 30 mins, and check it. If the paint seems to be loosened, go ahead and scrub it with the toothbrush, rinsing under warm water. Check again to see if more stripper is needed for underlying layers. Soak as needed. Repeat scrubbing. Whan all paint is off, spray with a degreasing agent, such as Simple Green, or scrub with dish soap. Then all you have to do is remove any glue that is present (the stripper will de-bond CA glues and some epoxies), re-assemble, then prime and re-paint.

GentleGiant

Explorer
The easiest way really is to use brake fluid. If you have a small jar of it, just plop your miniature in there and let it sit for a day or so. Take the miniature out with a pair of pliers (or other similar tool) and all of the paint comes off with minimal scrubbing (I'm talking just rubbing it with your fingers - wear latex gloves as a precaution). I have a friend who has painted hundreds and hundreds of miniatures (hopefully we'll have a website up at one point, although his drawings have first priority in getting up) and he has used this method numerous times.
Works like a charm.
But I DO know it's not exactly non-toxic (don't inhale any fumes). But it's cheap and works every time. A small jar of it will strip loads of miniatures before it gets too "muddy" - and remember to get rid of it in a safe way.

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
I have had some success with brake fluid, but you're really right T.C. - you're best off buying a new mini - everything else is too dang much effort.

I've stripped plenty of minis using PineSol. mix 50/50 with water, let the minis soak for a few days, and scrub with a toothbrush. Most of what I stripped were minis painted with old testors oil based paints, and they came clean after sitting for 2-3 days. Acrylics come clean after about 1 day.

D'karr

Adventurer
Lots of loose dollar bills... Oops, wrong forum.... LOL

Pinesol
Brake Fluid

I've used them both and they will always require scrubbing with a tootbrush to remove paint particles.

Don't use brake fluid on plastic miniatures. I've never had problems with Pinesol and plastic minis.

If the miniature you are trying to strip is still in production buying a new one might be cheaper in time commitment. If the miniature is OOP then strip as needed.

Remove ads