How do you tell when something is AI art?

MarkB

Legend
In this case I recognized it as being AI because, as a sometime professional photographer, the probability of getting a group shot this good is vanishingly small. I can count the number of times I've gotten the like on the fingers of one foot.
Which doesn't necessarily make it AI, just artificially generated. Could be a composite from multiple shots, or a rendering done with poseable 3D models.

Ryujin

Legend
Which doesn't necessarily make it AI, just artificially generated. Could be a composite from multiple shots, or a rendering done with poseable 3D models.
It's in the Adobe catalogue and listed as "AI Generated." I verified it, based on my suspicions.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
This is obviously AI art, as the 'goggle' skull on the right is not anatomically correct:
atensemoment1992.jpg

:devil:
Looking at something that would normally be a photo as AI art is something different from drawn or painted art, like this for example, it has that same 'AI' tag in the same catalogue, but what features make this AI art? What if you found the above picture from Larry Elmore in the catalogue with an AI tag on it?

1000_F_645992614_3rSbap5217u9iTVNAcOfREiPbFKtQp0w.jpg

Ryujin

Legend
This is obviously AI art, as the 'goggle' skull on the right is not anatomically correct:
atensemoment1992.jpg

:devil:
Looking at something that would normally be a photo as AI art is something different from drawn or painted art, like this for example, it has that same 'AI' tag in the same catalogue, but what features make this AI art? What if you found the above picture from Larry Elmore in the catalogue with an AI tag on it?

1000_F_645992614_3rSbap5217u9iTVNAcOfREiPbFKtQp0w.jpg
And that's when it becomes the most difficult; when dealing with art in an Impressionist, Surrealist, or really anything other than realistic style. There aren't the usual cues as to the method of creation.

EDIT I thought the first image looked familiar. It's a Dragon Magazine cover. An old one.

There’s a few things I’ve generally seen AI image generators struggle with. Hands and feet have been mentioned, but some of the tools I’ve seen struggle with things like bow strings. I’ll see if I can find an image someone in my PF2e group generated, but one of the characters is a magus that favors using a bow so the prompt was for something like an archer firing magical arrows and no matter how he tweaked the prompt, the tool could not get the string on the bow to look remotely right. The arrow the archer had nocked kept being positioned at an extremely weird angle too. Maybe it was an issue of the prompts he was using.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And that's when it becomes the most difficult; when dealing with art in an Impressionist, Surrealist, or really anything other than realistic style. There aren't the usual cues as to the method of creation.

EDIT I thought the first image looked familiar. It's a Dragon Magazine cover. An old one.
The AI art.detectors seem to mostly identify old D&D art as AI generated, weirdly enough.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
A better question would be, why would you care?
There's a lot of reasons to care. If you pay for art and you get AI art instead, you've been the victim of fraud. If you get AI art, you cannot get copyright and it is a potential legal liability.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
There's a lot of reasons to care. If you pay for art and you get AI art instead, you've been the victim of fraud. If you get AI art, you cannot get copyright and it is a potential legal liability.
But if you don't trust your artists in the first place? Why bother paying them? Trust, but verify? Sure! But something as basic as asking for art that is not AI generated, if you have to bother checking, that relation is sour from the get go...

Also keep in mind that you're talking about US courts, there are other countries in the world you know... In the EU it works differently (I'm from the EU) and in the UK AI works are actually copyrighted (Morrus is from the UK). As there isn't a worldwide consensus (yet) that might be more of a headache then you would like, but there isn't a 100% guarantee you will identify every AI art piece either, so there is always a risk.

Remove ads