• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does a monster's mark work?

Rafe

First Post
It says "marks the target" but does not specify the kind of mark; nor could I find any reference to Soldier-type monster mark mechanics. As far as I can see, there is no generic mark.

So how would a Hobgoblin Soldier's mark function? -2 attack roll penalty as well as an attack if the target shifts or moves?

Thoughts? Or does anyone have a reference page?

Kordeth

First Post
"Marked" is a condition, just like "blinded" or "dazed" or "stunned." It caused the marked critter to suffer a -2 to all attacks that don't include the marking creature as a target.

Rafe

First Post
"Marked" is a condition, just like "blinded" or "dazed" or "stunned." It caused the marked critter to suffer a -2 to all attacks that don't include the marking creature as a target.

Ah, excellent! That's the first time I've seen it on p. 277 of the PHB. Thanks!

Doctor Proctor

First Post
Yes. Additionally, all marks are generic marks. So when a Paladin has a power that marks additional targets, those are generic marks not Divine Challenges (Otherwise there would be a lot of confusion as to whether or not he was "engaging" the target of his DC).

All of the extra stuff that a Fighter can do is a function of his Combat Challenge feature, not the marks themselves. It's just that a Fighter's Combat Challenge works on all of his marks, not just one.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads