D&D (2024) How does a New Setting with the One D&D Origins and Classes look?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
There's no elf background in 5e nor 5.5e.

There might be an elf sage wizard. The point now is there will require a setting where an orc sage wizard makes sense. Or an tiefling sailor fighter or dwarf guide druid.
Level Up handles this better. Heritage and culture are separate origin metrics and can be mixed and matched freely.

Micah Sweet

I figured by the context of the discussion that I was talking about new settings. WOTC only officially produced 4 new non-MTG settings since 2000.

Ravenloft and Spelljammer also barely count as your PC only always makes sense because you technically can come from another setting. There isn't a setting that runs on 5e character creation without using a bridge of your PC being from another setting. Your PC being a strange anomaly is written in the base assumption.
One of many reasons why I prefer late 2e/3e Ravenloft: it was a setting with its own native character base, not an imaginary nightmare land of separate fantasies.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
One of many reasons why I prefer late 2e/3e Ravenloft: it was a setting with its own native character base, not an imaginary nightmare land of separate fantasies.
Are the Shadowfell and Feywild imaginary, within the context of the core D&D fiction?

I would say that's a perilous assumption. Even the Plane of Dreams, which is a separate world from both of these, is perilous enough.

Micah Sweet

Are the Shadowfell and Feywild imaginary, within the context of the core D&D fiction?

I would say that's a perilous assumption. Even the Plane of Dreams, which is a separate world from both of these, is perilous enough.
I don't see how that's relevant. I'm saying that 5e Ravenloft explicitly rolled back late 2e and 3e's work to make the Domains of Dread an actual campaign setting that can support native characters in favor of the original "weekend in Hell" format, which I find far less interesting. What does that have to do with any of the planes you mentioned?

Tell you one thing though, the first big setting book that WotC releases after the new core books come out will 100% have ardlings, the new orcs etc as significant setting components. They always want to show off the new shinies, after all. So everyone hoping for a new Dark Sun book after the edition uplift should be very careful what they wish for...

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Tell you one thing though, the first big setting book that WotC releases after the new core books come out will 100% have ardlings, the new orcs etc as significant setting components. They always want to show off the new shinies, after all. So everyone hoping for a new Dark Sun book after the edition uplift should be very careful what they wish for...
WOTC isn't gonna do Dark Sun for a loooooong time as they are scared and and scarred of designing a full Psionic class.

Ardlings will be an accepted race by then though so they will be allowed in DS when it officially releases in 2030.

Remove ads