Level Up (A5E) How does Doomed work?

Looking between the two definitions given for doomed below I'm a bit fuzzy on how it works exactly. First, I'm assuming that it triggers on 7 fatigue rather than 5 as the pg 450 definition suggests. My questions are:

1. If you are conscious does it do anything? Does healing magic work below 7th level as normal? From my reading it seems like it does not do anything at this point (aside the the other fatigued effects) until your 2d12 hours time is up.
2. If you are unconscious and dying does healing magic work as normal? Would a healing potion or other magic below 7th level that restores hit points prevent death saves? Does it make you conscious again? The sentence, "While the symptoms of a doomed creature’s injuries might be removed, only powerful spells such as regeneration or resurrection can spare it from death or restore it to life.", is rather ambiguous to me.
3. If you are unconscious and stable does it work any differently than if you were dying? Would healing magic be able to render you conscious?

As a suggestion these two definitions could probably be cleaned up and made consistent with each other in the text. Thanks!

Pg. 450
A doomed creature has sustained damage to their
body, mind, and spirit that puts it beyond the help
of normal recovery and lesser magic. While the
symptoms of a doomed creature’s injuries might be
removed, only powerful spells such as regeneration or
resurrection can spare it from death or restore it to life.
Suffering the effects of 5 or more levels of fatigue is
one way to become doomed; however at the Narrator’s
discretion a creature might become doomed
for any number of other reasons.

Pg 616
A doomed creature dies at a time determined
by the Narrator, or within 13 (2d12) hours.
• A doomed creature continues to be doomed
even after it dies. Magic equivalent to a
7th-level or higher spell can remove the
doomed condition (such as regenerate cast
on a living creature, resurrection, true
resurrection, or wish).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
1. Doomed doesn’t require you to be unconscious. Whether conscious or unconscious, you’re gonna die,
2. Sure you can restore hit points, but you’re still gonna die.
3. I don’t understand that question!

I think the problem you’re having is that you’re inserting unconsciousness into it, where Doomed makes no reference to consciousness.

It might be my new favorite Rule in Level Up, honestly.

Might be, but I haven't read it all so far. But I like the idea that a doomed character gets to do something. It allows for an heroic sacrifice (I am going to die in 2d12 hours... go, I'll stay and delay the enemies [with all my penalties])

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Honestly, @Galandris, if a player at my table is ever in that situation, the "Go... I'll hold them back!" moment while the rest of the party is in retreat?

Combat ends. Party gets away, the noble sacrifice matters. Might offer up a fleeting chase sequence with a handful of potential threats, but the party is going to benefit from that heroic sacrifice.

Stalker0

Legend
Might be, but I haven't read it all so far. But I like the idea that a doomed character gets to do something. It allows for an heroic sacrifice (I am going to die in 2d12 hours... go, I'll stay and delay the enemies [with all my penalties])
A complete house rule, but I will probably allow a doomed character to ignore fatigue penalties during their final stand…aka they are using every last drop of gas left, so I’ll let them shine.

Honestly, @Galandris, if a player at my table is ever in that situation, the "Go... I'll hold them back!" moment while the rest of the party is in retreat?

Combat ends. Party gets away, the noble sacrifice matters. Might offer up a fleeting chase sequence with a handful of potential threats, but the party is going to benefit from that heroic sacrifice.
But...but...but...I want to play through Boromir's battle all the way until I actually die and earn those hobbits their freedom with attack rolls and exertion points!

I guess that could happen after the session so only the players that are interested get/have to watch.

Remove ads