Level Up (A5E) How does Doomed work?

But...but...but...I want to play through Boromir's battle all the way until I actually die and earn those hobbits their freedom with attack rolls and exertion points!

I guess that could happen after the session so only the players that are interested get/have to watch.

To be honest, if it had happened at my table... I'd have the player narrate the heroic of his character.
But I feel that heroic sacrifices are much more common in films and novels than at the table, where there is always the incentive to try to flee all together as the DM won't be so mean as to kill us as we admitted defeat... won't he? (puppy eyes). With a doomed character, you're effectively dead, it's too late, but you get the opportunity to shine. I really like it. It's a strong contender for my answer to the thing I prefer in LU. [That and it's linked to a waaaay underplayed tool in O5E, exhaustion levels, that I have houseruled to extrapolate... "you're visiting the plane of the dead... breaking the rules of the dead will make you lose the will to get back among the living..." ]

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
But...but...but...I want to play through Boromir's battle all the way until I actually die and earn those hobbits their freedom with attack rolls and exertion points!

I guess that could happen after the session so only the players that are interested get/have to watch.
To be honest, if it had happened at my table... I'd have the player narrate the heroic of his character.
I don't mean to say "That's the end of the scene". I mean to say "That's the last time I, as the DM, am rolling an attack roll on the Hero".

Everything beyond the moment of heroic sacrifice is going to be a success, is the thrust of it. I won't undercut that moment by counting out hit points and damage or playing "Whack a Mole" with the person trying to have their time in the spotlight as a big hero. If you've got 2hp and a dream while doomed I'm not going to have some random Goblin fire an arrow that puts you back on the ground before your next turn.

COMBAT is over. The scene continues. I might have a few NPCs enter into a chase for the other players to keep them affected by the drama, but the Big Hero Moment happens without further rolling of dice.

BabbageUK

Explorer
I don't mean to say "That's the end of the scene". I mean to say "That's the last time I, as the DM, am rolling an attack roll on the Hero".

Everything beyond the moment of heroic sacrifice is going to be a success, is the thrust of it. I won't undercut that moment by counting out hit points and damage or playing "Whack a Mole" with the person trying to have their time in the spotlight as a big hero. If you've got 2hp and a dream while doomed I'm not going to have some random Goblin fire an arrow that puts you back on the ground before your next turn.

COMBAT is over. The scene continues. I might have a few NPCs enter into a chase for the other players to keep them affected by the drama, but the Big Hero Moment happens without further rolling of dice.
This is the right response. You shouldn't cede control of the narrative to those pesky randomizers! :)

Remove ads