D&D 5E How does [i]animate objects[/i] work?

DwarfHammer

Explorer
I played one where I saved up 10 magic daggers. Had a gnome build toy soldiers that wielded them. We didn’t do any extra damage. Just the damage stated in the spell. But it was magic damage that would hurt critters needing magic weapons to hurt them. It really didn’t imbalance the game. But it became a go to spell.

If the character is willing to spend 2,000 gold on poison for a single attack (I'd guess the poison is transfered to the target when stabbed), why not allow it? He could buy 8 20-ounces powder keg at 250 gp each (ranking as Small Items) and do the same trick (adding a torch and telling all these items to gather around the target). By RAW, it would be 8 explosions (potentially reaching more targets) at 7d6 each, easy save for half. Even if only a fourth of the saves miss, it's 35d6 of damage. I'd rule "and a collapsed building"...

jgsugden

Legend
Just tell a good story. This isn't a metagame of DM versus player. It is Dms and players tellinga great story using the rules and dice to take some elements out of their control. Just have fun with the ideas the players bring to the table.

How does this apply to a wizard animating 10 daggers that they just poisoned? Follow the rules for poison and let them spend the gold to do what they want. It is a fun idea. They're spending a fortune to make it happen, so let it be effective.

Remove ads