WOIN How does one apply a -1d6 penalty to shaking off a condition?

TheHirumaChico

Explorer
Hi again. In the WRRD list of Weapon Traits, there is the following entry: "Vicious. Some weapons are barbed or jagged; conditions from such weapons are harder to shake off, and inflict a –1d6 penalty to attempts to do so." I know I've seen a couple of similar sentences recently, but this was the first one I could locate this evening. How does one apply a -1d6 penalty to shaking off a condition? IIRC, a condition can normally be shaken off by spending one action and rolling 1d6, on a 5 or 6 the condition ends.

TheHirumaChico

Explorer
Hmm. Does it say that in the book also?
Yes, OLD 1.2 p. 82 says the same thing for the Vicious trait. In NOW 1.2 on p. 87 it has a different description for the Vicious trait: "Vicious. Some weapons are barbed or jagged; conditions from such weapons are more dangerous, and inflict the severe version of their related condition." There is no mention of the Vicious weapon trait in NEW.

Belisarion

Explorer
There is actually only one weapon in all the three books with the Vicious quality, the Flamberge. I would prefer the severe version, would make more sense from the description.
Otherwise if a -1d6 is applied on the conditio roll, that condition would be extremely hard to shake of, you would have to roll a 6 and on the -1d6 a 1 which might be a bit too harsh?

TheHirumaChico

Explorer
There is actually only one weapon in all the three books with the Vicious quality, the Flamberge. I would prefer the severe version, would make more sense from the description.
Otherwise if a -1d6 is applied on the conditio roll, that condition would be extremely hard to shake of, you would have to roll a 6 and on the -1d6 a 1 which might be a bit too harsh?
I'm not sure I follow that calculation, sorry Belisarion. What are rules for needing to roll a 5 or 6 on 1d6, and then getting a -1d6 penalty to that roll? Is that situation explained in the WOIN rules somewhere?

I'm not sure I follow that calculation, sorry Belisarion. What are rules for needing to roll a 5 or 6 on 1d6, and then getting a -1d6 penalty to that roll? Is that situation explained in the WOIN rules somewhere?
I think he means that first you roll 1d6 to shake off the condition, but then you subtract 1d6 for the penalty, and the difference has to be 5 or 6 as normal. Hence, you need to roll a 6 with the first roll and a 1 with the second to score a total of 5, the bare minimum but also the best you can do. This means that you can shake off the condition only 1/36 times, which is way too low IMO.

I think the 1d6 penalty to shake off the condition is a leftover from a previous version or draft. It makes more sense to say that it can only be shaken off with a 6, as it happens with other conditions and exploits

Belisarion

Explorer
I think he means that first you roll 1d6 to shake off the condition, but then you subtract 1d6 for the penalty, and the difference has to be 5 or 6 as normal. Hence, you need to roll a 6 with the first roll and a 1 with the second to score a total of 5, the bare minimum but also the best you can do. This means that you can shake off the condition only 1/36 times, which is way too low IMO.

I think the 1d6 penalty to shake off the condition is a leftover from a previous version or draft. It makes more sense to say that it can only be shaken off with a 6, as it happens with other conditions and exploits
Exactly what I meant. Considering that there is only one weapon in all three core books affected it might not be of significance. But would be nice to know for future/homebrew weapons, @Morrus .
I like the idea of only a 6 on a 1d6 roll shaking of the condition very fitting.

TheHirumaChico

Explorer
Exactly what I meant. Considering that there is only one weapon in all three core books affected it might not be of significance. But would be nice to know for future/homebrew weapons, @Morrus .
I like the idea of only a 6 on a 1d6 roll shaking of the condition very fitting.
I also like the idea of Severe meaning that the condition can only be shaken off with a roll of 6 on 1d6, but as per this thread, it seems that is not what is currently/officially meant by a Severe condition.

Remove ads