D&D 5E How does that Fighter, Barbarian or Rogue become king? Bring on the Feat

Azuresun

Adventurer
But they're still not very good compared to the Wizard, Cleric, or Bard who start with 16s (or better) in Int, Wis, and Cha respectively.

If they're not competing, why does it matter what the rest of the party can do? Alternatively, it sounds they'd make pretty good advisors to and agents of the king.

lingual

Adventurer
But they're still not very good compared to the Wizard, Cleric, or Bard who start with 16s (or better) in Int, Wis, and Cha respectively.
They're not supposed to be as mechanically good as the Bard, etc. at Persuasion.

Now if the DM is going to rule that mechanics mean everything, well that should be established at session zero. You would make it clear that the 1st level wandering Bard with 16 CHA basically has more sway than the Emperor with 12 CHA. Role play, background, character experience or fame? Don't matter. Some suave looking stranger at a bar can persuade some devout wife to bed with him instead of her husband because he has Persuasion and a higher CHA than the husband? Who cares. Everything comes down to the d20 roll.

What about the high level wizard who dumped Strength but now claims he's into fitness and the gym? Even spends and ASI and feats to take Athletics and gets to 12 Strength? If he whines and says the tavern bouncer is still more swole than him? Well tough luck.

lingual

Adventurer
If they're not competing, why does it matter what the rest of the party can do? Alternatively, it sounds they'd make pretty good advisors to and agents of the king.
It seems to me that characters that are min-maxed for combat sometimes don't actually fit the the mental image the player has. As a DM, I would allow the player the reshuffle their stats, and maybe even skills or feats, at some point as some sort of downtime activity. Particularly if the nature of the campaign has changed from hack and slash to something else. Maybe they got a makeover and took some night classes at the community college. Or saw Tim Robbins. Also high spenders get some social bonuses where they are spending their $$.

I played and have had players with non 20 prime attributes and things actually work fine. Such characters aren't broken and aren't gimped.

Remove ads