How does the GSL affect me?

thundershot

Adventurer
Simple answer: It won't.

Okay, so I'll probably spend less money on books I'll never use this time around, but in general, it won't affect my ability to play D&D.

4th Edition is here and it's here to stay for at least 8 years or so. I've read through the PHB and some of the MM, and I like what I see. Yes, there's a lot of missing things from previous editions, but they'll fill in the blanks as time goes on.

4E IS D&D whether someone likes it or not. Iif it weren't for 4E, I wouldn't be playing D&D. Our campaign got to the point where the sheer math and such for a high level combat made the game not fun to play. So we just fizzled out...

Now, on topic, the GSL won't change that for me, the guy playing the newest version of D&D. I'll still buy additional books for 4E. If Necromancer or Green Ronin or Goodman Games comes out with 4E compatible products that interest me, I'll buy them too. But if Paizo wants to only support 3.5, then they don't get my money. Pure and simple. I love the company. I love the products they put out in the past, but GSL or no GSL, I'm moving forward. And you know what? If no 3rd party supports it, it's no skin off my back. I played all of the editions prior to 3E without 3rd parties. I can do it again. Of course, I'd LOVE to buy products from my favorite 3rd parties, but as a consumer, they'll have to find a way to work with what they have (the GSL) and tap into the consumer base that is me. :D

Chris

DMStehlek

First Post
The same sentiments could be applied to just about any RPG that goes through changes, albeit not as extreme as 2e to 3e or 3.5e to 4e. For the past couple of days I've wondered 'why bother getting worked up' over the GSL? I'm not a developer or publisher. It is still an RPG in name - just different mechanics and philosophies (see the thread on 'Fun'). The groups I've gamed with generally care very little about how the mechanics of the system affect the game. We have the learning curve inherent in all the systems we've tried in the past, as well as those we will try in the future.

Whether it is D&D, WHFRP, Unisystem, Savage Worlds, AD&D, or whatever - we still consider our group a 'D&D' group. The DM is always the DM - not GM or CK. We've played systems I didn't care for (3e/3.5e), but I still played/DM'd. We don't let the game system get us down, it is just a system and things can be changed.

So, to get back on topic, I don't see how the GSL is going to impact our game. Less stuff for me to spend money on, and I still have all of that 3e/OGL stuff to scour for ideas. Maybe I will use more of those books now than I did when they applied to the game I was playing. :D

Last edited:

carmachu

Explorer
thundershot said:
4E IS D&D whether someone likes it or not....

Hmmm, no, actually. Its your D&D, its not everyones.

Now, on topic, the GSL won't change that for me, the guy playing the newest version of D&D. I'll still buy additional books for 4E. If Necromancer or Green Ronin or Goodman Games comes out with 4E compatible products that interest me, I'll buy them too. But if Paizo wants to only support 3.5, then they don't get my money. Pure and simple. I love the company. I love the products they put out in the past, but GSL or no GSL, I'm moving forward. And you know what? If no 3rd party supports it, it's no skin off my back. I played all of the editions prior to 3E without 3rd parties. I can do it again. Of course, I'd LOVE to buy products from my favorite 3rd parties, but as a consumer, they'll have to find a way to work with what they have (the GSL) and tap into the consumer base that is me. :D

Or, they can tap in the consumer that is my thats already subscribed. Dont like what I see in 4e, the GSL is pure crap so....looks like WOTC gave me an early birthday present. The closed nature of the GSL means alot of nice items may never get released in 4e by third parties due to its constraints.

So.....I'll be spending money, just not on WOTC items. I heard rumblings Necro may release the Tomb of Horrors in full color for pathfinder rather than 4e due to the nature of the GSL.....more nuggets for me!

Farland

Explorer
Actually the GSL WILL affect me, not because I'm a 3rd party publisher but because I rely heavily on computer aps not created by WOTC for my enjoyment of the game. The GSL took those tools from me. I do NOT feel comfortable relying on Wizards to supply those aps, based on their past track record and based on the fact that they can't keep a simple messageboard functioning for longer than 1 hour.

The GSL leaves a bad taste in my mouth going into 4E.

Fobok

First Post
Farland said:
Actually the GSL WILL affect me, not because I'm a 3rd party publisher but because I rely heavily on computer aps not created by WOTC for my enjoyment of the game. The GSL took those tools from me. I do NOT feel comfortable relying on Wizards to supply those aps, based on their past track record and based on the fact that they can't keep a simple messageboard functioning for longer than 1 hour.

The GSL leaves a bad taste in my mouth going into 4E.

I thought the 3e applications had a separate license from the OGL anyway? Didn't they (PCGen, ETools, and Hero Lab) actually directly license with Wizards to get approval to do them?

I remember it being big news when the OGL came out that it didn't cover software, but admittedly I didn't pay much attention after that so maybe it was updated later.

If they did, though, similar licenses might end up being available this time as well, through direct negotiation.

Rhianni32

Adventurer
Fobok said:
I thought the 3e applications had a separate license from the OGL anyway? Didn't they (PCGen, ETools, and Hero Lab) actually directly license with Wizards to get approval to do them?

I remember it being big news when the OGL came out that it didn't cover software, but admittedly I didn't pay much attention after that so maybe it was updated later.

If they did, though, similar licenses might end up being available this time as well, through direct negotiation.

I dont know about what they did in the past for electronic 3.X tools.
But seeing as they want to charge $15/month for D&DI I highly doubt they will allow for free competitors.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Farland said:
. . . I rely heavily on computer aps not created by WOTC for my enjoyment of the game.
The *biggest* selling point for 4e so far has been that I no longer need to run a freakin' computer lab just to manage my game.

If that changes, however, then I'm off.

Verdande

First Post
carmachu said:

So what does your book say on the front, then? ;)

These arguments always get irritating. It's on the same principle that "I know what fun is, and anybody who thinks that fun is different than me must be an idiot who is trying to stop me from having fun."

Slow down there, buddy. Nobody's trying to stop your fun just because you don't like the way that some guys are trying to help you out with new, spiffy rules.

thundershot

Adventurer
carmachu said:

Sorry to break it to you. It's the latest in the line of D&D editions. It's D&D just as much as OD&D, 1E, 2E, and 3E were. It's also going to be the only currently supported edition by the owners of the brand.

Or, they can tap in the consumer that is my thats already subscribed. Dont like what I see in 4e, the GSL is pure crap so....looks like WOTC gave me an early birthday present. The closed nature of the GSL means alot of nice items may never get released in 4e by third parties due to its constraints.

That's true. A lot of nice items won't be released because of the constraint. I just hope that supporting 3E instead of 4E won't do more harm than good in the long run. A LOT of people are going to be playing 4E. The mass majority of them don't post on message boards.

So.....I'll be spending money, just not on WOTC items. I heard rumblings Necro may release the Tomb of Horrors in full color for pathfinder rather than 4e due to the nature of the GSL.....more nuggets for me!

That's great! I'm glad there'll be people supporting these guys. I'd love to as well, but they need to make 4th edition stuff in order to keep me as well as a lot of other gamers. I hope enough people support them to keep them in business so I can eventually see 4E stuff from them.

Verdande said:
So what does your book say on the front, then? ;)

These arguments always get irritating. It's on the same principle that "I know what fun is, and anybody who thinks that fun is different than me must be an idiot who is trying to stop me from having fun."

Slow down there, buddy. Nobody's trying to stop your fun just because you don't like the way that some guys are trying to help you out with new, spiffy rules.

Yeah, I'm not trying to say which is better for everyone. I was only saying that with all the hubbub with the GSL, I'd put it into perspective. It's simply a matter of "My group and I will be playing 4E. We'll buy supplements that support 4E. If your 3rd party company doesn't produce supplements for 4E, I won't be buying your products."

Like I said, I hope enough people support them to keep them afloat. I'm just saying that I can't be one of them unless they cater to my needs as a consumer. I don't expect them to cater to me, but that's the only way they're getting my money.

Chris

Remove ads