• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does your warlord inspire you?

Vaslov

Explorer
After loosing a PC one of my fellow players showed up with a warlord to last weeks game. He decided to heal himself and described the scene as "my finger gets glowy and I heal myself". Quickly someone reminded him that he does not heal with divine magic, but inspires himself to go on. Without missing a beat he looked at all of us and started an inspirational tale with the words "There was this one time at band camp...". The game all but stopped for the next few minutes to get the laughter under control as we all realized that our warlord is a dwarven band geek. B-)

Wormwood

Adventurer
Name: Wormwood
Power Source: Passive Aggression. Contempt.
Inspiration: my mother

"Oh dear, are you feeling unwell? Why don't you have a nice lie down while we deal with these cultists. Perhaps a nice cup of tea? I believe chamomile and honey is just the thing for minor flesh wounds. Or is it menstrual cramps? I can never tell with you. Oh, feeling better are we? How nice."

"Hurt again, are we? Are you sure that you are comfortable in this line of work? I mean, it's not even noon and you're nearly in tears. Again. Perhaps something in the food service industry would be more to your liking. No? Then could you be a dear and stab a hobgoblin when you've pulled yourself together? After you blow your nose."

"Darling, I hate be the one to tell you, but everyone in the party was talking last night and they said that they were thinking of replacing you. With a henchman. I know---I didn't even think they *had* those any more. Maybe you can get up and add "helped kill an orc" to your resume?"

Last edited:

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I do a few things with my taclord. Sometimes he's kind of like a boxing coach at ringside. "Hit him again!" and "go for the face!" are two of my favourites for commander's strike.

Recently I used knight's move to let the brand new paladin mark somebody.
"Would you care to mark this gentleman?"
"Yeah!"
"Then please do."
(followed by commander's strike)
"Would you like to hit him as well?"
"Yeah!"
"Then please do."

Somebody commented afterwards that it was like I was asking him if he wanted tea. :)
-blarg

Kinneus

Explorer
If anybody ever makes an OotS style comic about 4e, you know it'll have to have a Warlord as the party leader. They're just so hilarious and uniquely 4e.
"Get up, you pansy!"
"But... but I have a sword in my brain!"
"Want me to kiss it better? Or do you want to GET UP AND SAVE THE DAMN WORLD, you wuss!?"
"*sniffle* We should've hired a cleric..."

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
This thread is a blast... wish a few of the samplings were less anachronistic.. but my own experience with sports coaches (the closest personal analog) doesn't help in that category. It seems warlords could call to national pride in some cases... being a real hero like the persons older brother was in others. He could help invoke the targets back story.

This thread is a blast... wish a few of the samplings were less anachronistic.. but my own experience with sports coaches (the closest personal analog) doesn't help in that category. It seems warlords could call to national pride in some cases... being a real hero like the persons older brother was in others. He could help invoke the targets back story.
"Today is a good day to die... For someone else! Take them down!"

shilsen

Adventurer
The warlord I'm currently playing is a failed motivational speaker, author of pamphlets such as “The Seven Habits of Highly Lethal People” and “How to Win Friends and Crush Your Enemies, See them Driven Before You, and Hear the Lamentation of their Women”. So he inspires his allies with a combination of motivational speaking, sheer bullsh*t and personal example.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Heh, I had a shortlived warlord liked drill sergeant abuse. First inspiring word of an encounter was usually like "we need you, now get off the floor". Second one was usually "if you fall down I'm gonna shove my longspear up you [bleep] and shake you around like a marionette."

It took them a couple of sessions after hearing it for someone to pipe up that marionettes had strings.

Marshall

First Post

Something like "Your father was a starship captain for 12 minutes and saved 800 lives. I dare you to do better."?

Remove ads