How fast do you type your posts?

How fast do you type (words per minute) when posting to ENW?

• less than 10 wpm

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • 10 - 20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 21 - 30

• 31 - 40

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • 41 - 50

• 51 - 60

• 61 - 70

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • 71 - 80

• 81 - 90

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • 91 - 100

• more than 101 wpm

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
giphy.gif

Let's just say I'm keenly aware that there's a limit to how many posts one can make per minute here.
They don't call you Whizbang for nothing. :)

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
It depends.

If it has to with boring RPG history, Greyhawk, or the perfidious peccadilloes of Bards, my verbiage exceeds the capacity of containers and comes forth at close to the speed of light.

aco175

Legend
My father tells the story of when he came back from Viet-Nam to be stationed with the 82nd. The only time he volunteered was when they asked who can type to the company. It was him and some other guy back from the bush typing with two fingers for the last 6 months before being outprocessed. He says that the sergeant that was in charge of the office could tell that they were terrible at typing but were at least detail-orientated.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Anything from 30 seconds to 2 hours depending on how much Im reading. With the autosave function it can sometimes be 2-3 days

Richards

Legend
I learned to type on an electric typewriter I got when I graduated from junior high. I was self-taught, using the hunt-and-peck method, and using only my two index fingers and occasionally a thumb to hit the SHIFT key. I got really good at it, often typing faster than others who use all of their fingers in the more professional manner. (And this is still how I type today, by the way.)

So, the way I like to explain all of that is: I learned to type using the hunt-and-peck method, but I've gotten so fast at it that I no longer have to hunt for where the letter are on the keyboard.

Now I'm just a pecker. :)

Johnathan

Mad_Jack

Legend
On a good day, somewhere around 25 words per minute, depending on whether I'm writing on my own or copying something.
Despite having actually taken a typing class in eighth grade, I never really learned to type. I look at the keys as I'm typing instead of at what I'm writing, so copying things down is much slower than just writing on my own. And I only use three or four fingers on each hand and don't keep my hands on the right keys the way you're supposed to.
Sometimes I reach across the keyboard to hit a key with my other hand because it's quicker than trying to put my hands back into the correct position and doing it the right way.
So, basically, I picked up some basic tools and reinvented the wheel instead of using them the way I was supposed to.

Which actually happens to me a lot - my brain is just wired to process how to do things a little differently than normal.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It depends on the device.

On my desktop, I’ve been tested at 70+WPM after learning touch typing in the summer after 8th grade, and I haven’t really slowed.

On my iPad, I can still touch type, but the keyboard is slightly smaller than standard and has no home key blisters, so I get slowed a bit because of errors…and autocorrect. Probably still hitting 45+WPM though.

On my iPhone? Slooooowwwwwww. I’m basically using 2 fingers of 1 hand- typically my thumb & index.

Remove ads