How hard is a 4E black dragon fight?

Can the level 2 party defeat a level 4 elite black dragon?

• The party will most likely die

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • The fight could go either way

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • The party has a good chance of success

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • I've never played a D&D 4th Edition game

Votes: 1 1.5%

Mokona

Explorer
This 4th edition party consists of six (6) characters. Can they defeat a level 4 (Black Dragon from the Monster Manual) in their current state? Some of the players are really worried it will easily turn in to a TPK.

Level 2 Player Characters:

Human Archer Ranger - Dex 20, already used her daily power today (Weapon Focus - Bows and Lethal Hunter)

Dragonborn Fighter - 46 Hit Points, already used 5 of her 11 healing surges and already used her daily power today (acid breath weapon)

Dragonborn Inspiring Warlord - Cha 18, already used his daily power today, used 2 out of 8 healing surges, and does not have an action point remaining (acid breath weapon)

Human Fey Pact Warlock - still has all of his resources at full power

Human Wizard - already used her daily power today, and does not have an action point remaining

Halfling Paladin - already used his daily power today, used 1 of his 2 lay on hands, and does not have an action point remaining

Last edited:

Shroomy

Adventurer
I definitely think that they have a shot. 6 Level 2 characters against a Level 4 Solo is not even a Level 3 encounter. Sure, its dangerous, but they have two defenders and two strikers; if they play smart, they should be OK.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Mearls wrote a D&D adventure for D&D Experience called Scalegloom Hall that had a Black Dragon fight with 1st level pre-gens that resulted in a lot of near or full TPKs.

I would say they will most likely die.

Rechan

Adventurer
Mearls wrote a D&D adventure for D&D Experience called Scalegloom Hall that had a Black Dragon fight with 1st level pre-gens that resulted in a lot of near or full TPKs.
Being a higher level does give them a Little more resources. +1 to Hit/Init/Defenses, more hit points, utility powers, another feat.

If they were at full power, I'd say they'd have a good chance.

greyscale1

First Post
dragonborn breath is a encounter, not a daily. This is really important.

My level 1 party, who arent really into powergaming mind you, defeated a level 4 solo at level 1 after going through 6 level 3 encounters without an extended rest. They rolled okay, but not poorly or exceptionally.

Either they are superhuman or this fight should be very doable.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads