• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How hard is a 4E black dragon fight?

Can the level 2 party defeat a level 4 elite black dragon?

• The party will most likely die

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • The fight could go either way

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • The party has a good chance of success

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • I've never played a D&D 4th Edition game

Votes: 1 1.5%

Mokona

First Post
This 4th edition party consists of six (6) characters. Can they defeat a level 4 (Black Dragon from the Monster Manual) in their current state? Some of the players are really worried it will easily turn in to a TPK.

Level 2 Player Characters:

Human Archer Ranger - Dex 20, already used her daily power today (Weapon Focus - Bows and Lethal Hunter)

Dragonborn Fighter - 46 Hit Points, already used 5 of her 11 healing surges and already used her daily power today (acid breath weapon)

Dragonborn Inspiring Warlord - Cha 18, already used his daily power today, used 2 out of 8 healing surges, and does not have an action point remaining (acid breath weapon)

Human Fey Pact Warlock - still has all of his resources at full power

Human Wizard - already used her daily power today, and does not have an action point remaining

Halfling Paladin - already used his daily power today, used 1 of his 2 lay on hands, and does not have an action point remaining

Last edited:

Shroomy

Adventurer
I definitely think that they have a shot. 6 Level 2 characters against a Level 4 Solo is not even a Level 3 encounter. Sure, its dangerous, but they have two defenders and two strikers; if they play smart, they should be OK.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Mearls wrote a D&D adventure for D&D Experience called Scalegloom Hall that had a Black Dragon fight with 1st level pre-gens that resulted in a lot of near or full TPKs.

I would say they will most likely die.

Rechan

Adventurer
Mearls wrote a D&D adventure for D&D Experience called Scalegloom Hall that had a Black Dragon fight with 1st level pre-gens that resulted in a lot of near or full TPKs.
Being a higher level does give them a Little more resources. +1 to Hit/Init/Defenses, more hit points, utility powers, another feat.

If they were at full power, I'd say they'd have a good chance.

greyscale1

First Post
dragonborn breath is a encounter, not a daily. This is really important.

My level 1 party, who arent really into powergaming mind you, defeated a level 4 solo at level 1 after going through 6 level 3 encounters without an extended rest. They rolled okay, but not poorly or exceptionally.

Either they are superhuman or this fight should be very doable.

Remove ads