Pathfinder 2E How is PF2E prep and GMing?

CapnZapp

Legend
Even in a party with Medicine. Battle Medic is once a day (Treat Wounds in combat). And Treat Wounds is once an hour, technically 70 minutes as you need 10 minutes to treat again in the 2nd hour. So don't let them have over an hour to rest and Medicine isn't helping much. BTW, I am reading Battle Medic as different then an application of Treat Wounds, I am sure someone will read Battle Medic as making it so you can't use Treat Wounds for a day either.
Well, that might be technically true, but very far from practical reality in any minmaxing group...

Translation: there are feats to remove almost every restriction mentioned. The safe bet is instead that 20-80 minutes after a fight, everybody is back at max hp (not counting diseases and curses etc now) at zero cost in resources.

Well, that might be technically true, but very far from practical reality in any minmaxing group...

Translation: there are feats to remove almost every restriction mentioned. The safe bet is instead that 20-80 minutes after a fight, everybody is back at max hp (not counting diseases and curses etc now) at zero cost in resources.

Definitely, but that does still require that you give them 20 to 80 minutes to heal. I have no issue with players being fully healed for combat as Crits definitely make combat difficult enough. But if you find you need to give your party more of a challenge don't let them rest like that.

From the SRD:

You spend 10 minutes treating one injured living creature (targeting yourself, if you so choose). The target is then temporarily immune to Treat Wounds actions for 1 hour, but this interval overlaps with the time you spent treating (so a patient can be treated once per hour, not once per 70 minutes).

The Medicine check DC is usually 15, though the GM might adjust it based on the circumstances, such as treating a patient outside in a storm, or treating magically cursed wounds. If you’re an expert in Medicine, you can instead attempt a DC 20 check to increase the Hit Points regained by 10; if you’re a master of Medicine, you can instead attempt a DC 30 check to increase the Hit Points regained by 30; and if you’re legendary, you can instead attempt a DC 40 check to increase the Hit Points regained by 50. The damage dealt on a critical failure remains the same.

If you succeed at your check, you can continue treating the target to grant additional healing. If you treat them for a total of 1 hour, double the Hit Points they regain from Treat Wounds.

The result of your Medicine check determines how many Hit Points the target regains.

Critical Success The target regains 4d8 Hit Points, and its wounded condition is removed.
Success The target regains 2d8 Hit Points, and its wounded condition is removed.
Critical Failure The target takes 1d8 damage.

Yep so after an hour of treatment with that legendary check and critical success you heal 8d8+100. Or regularly 1 hour of treatment heals 4d8 or 8d8 on a critical. That is good to know.

Reynard

Legend
Definitely, but that does still require that you give them 20 to 80 minutes to heal. I have no issue with players being fully healed for combat as Crits definitely make combat difficult enough. But if you find you need to give your party more of a challenge don't let them rest like that.
I don't understand the "20 to 80 minutes" bit. Isn't it either 10 or 60?

So, if I'm an Expert in Medicine and I roll a 20 I heal either 2d8+10 in 10 minutes or 4d8+20 in an hour (is it doubled before or after the roll?). If I succeed with a critical success (DC 30) that goes to 4d8+10 or 8d8+20?

I don't understand the "20 to 80 minutes" bit. Isn't it either 10 or 60?

So, if I'm an Expert in Medicine and I roll a 20 I heal either 2d8+10 in 10 minutes or 4d8+20 in an hour (is it doubled before or after the roll?). If I succeed with a critical success (DC 30) that goes to 4d8+10 or 8d8+20?

@CapnZapp is referring to things like the Skill feat Continual Recovery which reduces the immunity to 10 minutes. So you can Treat Wounds more often.

Reynard

Legend
@CapnZapp is referring to things like the Skill feat Continual Recovery which reduces the immunity to 10 minutes. So you can Treat Wounds more often.
It looks like Continual recovery is only a 2nd level feat so I presume it is pretty common to have. I mean, it is an interesting choice: it appears hit points are a tactical resource rather than a strategic resource in PF2E, and spells per day, rage, etc are more strategic resources. Does that mean classes like fighters and rogues don't have to deal with strategic resource management at all?

Remove ads