• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Many Attacks Does An Adult Green Dragon Have?

Sacrificial Lamb

First Post
Hi, guys. My question is......how many attacks does an adult Green Dragon have in 3.5? I know this question might sound silly, but I'm confused. It's listed as having a BAB of +20, which should provide it with four iterative attacks, right? But then the stat block in the Monster Manual lists it having a bite, 2 claws, 2 wings, and a tail slap.

Full Atk +26 melee (3d8+8, bite), +21 melee (2d6+4, 2 claws), +21 melee (1d8+4, 2 wings), +21 melee (2d6+12, tail slap)

That looks like six attacks now. Or is it four? I am officially confused...

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Iterative attacks apply only to attacks made with manufactured weapons (swords, morningstars, and the like). Critters always get all their natural weapon attacks on the full attack lines.

So the adult green dragon has indeed 6 attacks as you've listed. The claws, wings, and tail slap are all secondary, which means they have a -5 penalty compared to the primary bite attack. Unless the dragon takes the Multiattack feat to reduce the penalty to -2.

Sacrificial Lamb

First Post
Iterative attacks apply only to attacks made with manufactured weapons (swords, morningstars, and the like). Critters always get all their natural weapon attacks on the full attack lines.

So the adult green dragon has indeed 6 attacks as you've listed. The claws, wings, and tail slap are all secondary, which means they have a -5 penalty compared to the primary bite attack. Unless the dragon takes the Multiattack feat to reduce the penalty to -2.

Thanks, man. This honestly confused the heck outta me. I can't find anything in the book that clearly explains this. I only sporadically ran 3.0/3.5 over the years, and most of my players' opponents were NPCs with class levels, so this rule just never occurred to me. Much obliged. :)

Remove ads