• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) How many classes do you want to see this edition?

How many classes do you want to see this edition?

• Less than 5e. Some should be removed or merged.

Votes: 34 27.6%
  • The same as 5e. It is already perfect.

Votes: 22 17.9%
  • More than 5e. Some archetypes are not covered well in 5e.

Votes: 61 49.6%
  • Classes are outdated. Let me pick and mix features for my character!

Votes: 6 4.9%

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
Are you talking about the PHB only? Because the animal totem barbarian gets two rituals, and beyond that the wild magic barbarian and storm barbarian are pretty darn magical.
I did not take into account rituals. I was mostly thinking of spell slots (with the arbitrary exception of the Monk).

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I mean adding classes doesn't make the game no longer backwards compatible.

Hell, even if a class is removed, you could still play the 2014 version in the system if the game really is as backwards compatible as they claim.
You misunderstand me.

It doesn't matter if One D&D adds additional classes or not, it will still be the same number of classes as 5e because One D&D and 5e are the same edition. Adding more classes in 2024 is the same thing as adding more classes in 2014.

By the same virtue, it can't REMOVE classes because it's the same game - it can add variants of some classes but not others, but the ones it doesn't add variants to aren't removed… just not updated with the latest errata. They still exist in the game, which is One Edition - the 5th of D&D.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
You misunderstand me.

It doesn't matter if One D&D adds additional classes or not, it will still be the same number of classes as 5e because One D&D and 5e are the same edition. Adding more classes in 2024 is the same thing as adding more classes in 2014.

By the same virtue, it can't REMOVE classes because it's the same game - it can add variants of some classes but not others, but the ones it doesn't add variants to aren't removed… just not updated with the latest errata. They still exist in the game, which is One Edition - the 5th of D&D.
Too true. And this explains quite well why there's no need for the Artificer to be in the 2024 PHB-- it's already been printed twice in the last 3 years, it doesn't need to be printed a third time in 5. You can use the Eberron and/or Tasha's versions in 2024 same as you can with the 2014.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Too true. And this explains quite well why there's no need for the Artificer to be in the 2024 PHB-- it's already been printed twice in the last 3 years, it doesn't need to be printed a third time in 5. You can use the Eberron and/or Tasha's versions in 2024 same as you can with the 2014.
Agreed - though I think eventually the setting-specific lineages and classes/subclasses should be updated to conform to the new stylistic forms, to make them fit cleaner with the 2024 PHB standards. Just don't think that needs to happen in 2024.

Remove ads